Paph. Minotaur 'Westonbirt' FCC/RHS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Reaction score
How exciting - probably the first ever photograph displayed anywhere of this classic, awarded in 1910. Although not a spectacular parent, its greatest success probably lies in the Grand Canyon line (x Farnmoore), which was registered as a parent as recently as 2006. Collecting historic plants is great fun for me, and this one is pretty historic, now 100 years from its award. Pictured as well is the RHS painting...

Attachments

• minotaur_westonbirt.jpg
    minotaur_westonbirt.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 89
  • minotaur_westonbirt_rhs.jpg
    minotaur_westonbirt_rhs.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 57
yes the photo is of my plant, the painting was done when it was awarded in 1910; both are the same clone.

Wow! The SAME CLONE has been around for 100 YEARS?? How long do most Paphs live?

What are the parents of this one?

That is something Tim, it is really great to see this antique with its original 100 year old mugshot. Well done. I have never seen a modern photo of this plant. Sadly, all too many of these early plants have completely disappeared.

There are a modest number of these antiques plants in various collections around the US, but I haven't heard of any collections where the focus was to collect these early breeding and exhibition cultivars. It is an interesting idea, and could be valuable to breeders.

Nice to see this one.

Wow! The SAME CLONE has been around for 100 YEARS?? How long do most Paphs live?

There is no limit to the life span of sympodial orchids. Just like your lawn grass, or other perenial plants, new growth comes up from the rhizome, old growth dies off. In the case of this 100 year old Paph, no part of the Paph will be much older than 10 or very rarely 20 years, old roots and leaves rot away, but the seed that sprouted, may have sprouted a century earlier, what is alive today is genetically identical to the plant 100 years ago.

Yeah, that makes sense, but you don't often hear of it with house plants or greenhouse plants. Old homesteads that still have irises blooming in long abandoned gardens would be the same thing. Cool to think that my plants could, theoretically, outlive me!

Nice Tim. Fantastic you are collecting these old classics. So how do you come by them? Do they get advertised or do you just know breeders who have them in there collection? Are old hybrids like these expensive?

There is no limit to the life span of sympodial orchids. Just like your lawn grass, or other perenial plants, new growth comes up from the rhizome, old growth dies off. In the case of this 100 year old Paph, no part of the Paph will be much older than 10 or very rarely 20 years, old roots and leaves rot away, but the seed that sprouted, may have sprouted a century earlier, what is alive today is genetically identical to the plant 100 years ago.

Do you think there is no limit at all on there lifespan? I remember an article about a famous clone of Callistemon (bottlebrush) that has been propagated by cuttings for 100 years or so. They are recently finding that propagated plants are showing less and less vigour over time. Basically, the genetic clone is slowly dying of old age. The same could happen to Paphs although they are such long-lived plants it could take a long time.

David

If you hear a noise outside, it will be Ross after the plant.

:evil:

Seriously, there are many sources for these old plants. You just have to be vigilant. I had access to a large collection and was purchasing as many plants as my space and budget would allow. Sadly, the greenhouse burned down a year ago before I could purchase all the plants I wanted to.:(

Great photo, Tim. It's amazing how well shaped the dorsal is considering how early a hybrid this is.

Nice illustration Tim. How many of these 100 yr old plants do you have?

Quite a few - it's not too difficult to find them, mostly in hobbyist collections or old people's collections :) And for the most part they're pretty inexpensive, just a little tough to find.

What's particularly interesting to me is the number of these older RHS-awarded paphs in old catalogs; I have a few catalogs from Penn Valley Orchids in the late 70s-mid 80s advertising Minotaur 'Westonbirt' (as well as a bunch of other older paphs) for $10 per growth. Makes you wonder where they all went...

Also, be aware that a number of very old paphs are still pretty commonly available: FC Puddle was awarded in 1933, Maudiae 'Magnificum' in 1901, Leeanum 'Clinkaberryanum' in 1902...get the RHS awards CD and see for yourselves!!

Latest posts

Back