Paph micranthum help

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orcoholic

Reaction score
Is there anyway to tell if a good micranthum flower will result from a plant by just looking at the leaves?

I know there are theories about buying the widest leafed plants and the more red pigment at the base of a red complex usually indicates a more red flower, and I'm wondering if there are any of these types of "rules" about micranthum.

Micranthums have gorgeous foliage!!
Don't know of any rules but I would buy the more vigorous one that had the most healthy growths.

Is there anyway to tell if a good micranthum flower will result from a plant by just looking at the leaves?

I know there are theories about buying the widest leafed plants and the more red pigment at the base of a red complex usually indicates a more red flower, and I'm wondering if there are any of these types of "rules" about micranthum.

The short answer....no.

You never know how the flowers will turn out. I have a nice plant with 10 growths some of the first flowers were small and slightly deformed, but now they look great.

I have a bunch of them, because I like them and because I try and buy the healthiest ones I can find. I am waiting for them all to bloom to see what the difference is but I doubt you will find perfection just by looking at or considering the leaves. All cultural requirements need to be met and hopefully with some luck you will get a quality flower.

Perfection is also in the eye of the beholder.

You might find some correlation between light colored foliage and light colored flowers, and vice-verse, but that's up to your personal preference as to whether or not its a good flower.

I second what Rick wrote about the colour. Plus, leaf colour and shape don't tell you anything about shape and size of the flower. That is both up to your cultural skills and the genetic make-up of the plant.
I would go for seedlings of selected or even awarded plants, gives you a higher chance of getting good quality.
I bought my micranthum in flower :wink:

Short answer, no.
Long answer, no, except to tell apart a Kwangsee type from the other types.

I had gorgeous leafed micranthum with crappy flowers, and narrow leafed ones with huge round dark flowers, so it is impossible to say. My absolute best standard one has narrow short leaf. Kwangsee, usually wider leafed have better flowers, but that's not a rule by far.

As for the seedlings, we are at the f1 generation from the wild only now, so there is still a lot of variation from good to bad, unlike delenatii as an example which should be f4-f6 by now.

Latest posts

Back