Paph. lowii 'Charlie' update

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Back on January 25, I posted a photo of the first flower to open on this plant. Now, 5 of the 6 buds are fully open; so, I took a whole plant shot.
2509.jpg

That sure is a great looking plant John, and an awesome photo, thanks....Jim.

for my esthetical gusto, almost 100%: stem not too long, pretty large flowers and foliage not huge!!!! Bravo!! (don't feel able to judge the quality of the single flower yet:eek:) Jean

Thanks everybody!

OOOO!... Very nice John Strong plant you have there. what is the NS of the plant?

Natural spread of the front flower (3rd flower on the right stem), as it appears (without forcing the petals to be more horizontal), is 13 cm (5 1/8"). Natural spread of the plant is 43 cm (17"). Pot is 3 1/2". The oldest (lowest), flower on the right stem is the one in the photo that I posted back on Jan 25. http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10787&highlight=lowii

huge flowers on a relatively small lowii! I wonder if this characteristic has been line bred into the species purposefully because I have a small lowii as well. I'll have to take measurements tonight and get to you on it.

huge flowers on a relatively small lowii! I wonder if this characteristic has been line bred into the species purposefully because I have a small lowii as well. I'll have to take measurements tonight and get to you on it.
Cool! I've got another small lowii that I bought a few years ago and for some reason/stroke of luck, it did not die in the freeze. It is a small, almost miniature plant with short (for lowii), spikes. However, the flowers are also small and have poor form. In fact, they are so bad that it's got an extra bit of charm because of it! I saw it in bloom on a sales table at a show and didn't buy it; but then, I kept thinking about it and finally contacted the seller to see if he still had it. He did. So, I got it from him a few weeks later. I knew when I bought it that it was NOT going to ever be in the running for any awards or ribbons; but, it's rather miniature size, in foliage and flower, gave it loads of personality. It'll make a nice specimen one day.....and it'll only need a 4" pot!

OK John M, I measured the plant and the flower. The plant is right at 12" NS and the flower is a bit over 6". Amazing that the flower is half the lengh of the plant! It appears to have four flowers on one spike. I have it growing in a 4" air cone pot. I will post a pic after more flowrs open.

Latest posts

Back