Paph liemianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one for 20years, and it has never bloomed. What is the trick?

If your plant is properly labelled, it should bloom as long as you're growing it in warm, humid conditions. However, over the years, I've seen plants that were labelled as pure Cochlopetalum species or hybrids...that were actually hybrids with a cool-growing complex Paph. The foliage still looks very close to a pure Cochlopetalum; but, they need considerably much cooler growing conditions to bloom. Try chilling your plant for a few months and see if that triggers it.

Bjorn has a greenhouse that gets chilly enough for any paphs to bloom.
Plus, complex hybrids flower just fine in my apartment which does not go below 60 F, well, actually it always stays above 65F, even on the coldest days.

Another thing is that a mix of complex with cochlopetalum are usually easy bloomers, so I'm thinking 20 years absence of flowers might mean the plant is one of those runts??

Thanks for the suggestions, it is indeed strange, but I feel that there has been issues with my culture. Now it seems better, so let's give it a couple more years....At least the foliage looks good

Everyone has issues; all of us constantly stribe towards perfection, in my case there is amongst other things, to make cochlos bloom. Strange, isn't it?

Everyone has issues; all of us constantly stribe towards perfection, in my case there is amongst other things, to make cochlos bloom. Strange, isn't it?

Cochlos in general or just that one plant Bjorn?

My earlier cochlos (moquetianum, primulinum, chamberlianum) all purchased as blooming size plants bloomed easy, and put on lots of growths. But after 5 or so years pulled the "amazing shrinking plant" act and died. Almost all seedlings from breeding these plants died within 3 years of deflasking.

But everything since 2011 grows very fast and blooms readily as long as they gets lots of water, and the plant size is much bigger than before. Most of the in situ pics I've seen show these plants on constantly dripping wet places. I've posted pics of a primulinum var purpurescens which was one of the few seedlings I managed to salvage from my high feed days, and its almost always has a spike going for the last couple years.

Latest posts

Back