Paph. kolopakingii 'Riopelle' FCC/AOS ROOTS!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutz4Paphs

CCE/AOS :-)
Reaction score
Look at this bad boy! I repotted today as I have 2 old, 2 3/4, and 3 new shoots starting to come out and didn't want to wait any longer to get it out of the pot. LOOK AT THE ROOTS ON THIS GUY! I swear this plant is half Paph and half battle tank. Its a monster :clap:

IMG_0366.jpg

Sorry its sideways. I'll edit better next time :)

By the way, it went into a 12" pot. Next stop will have to be a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom I think :wink:

It was actually very easy to remove from the pot. The bigger issue was removing all the old media from such a crazy packed rootball (I have never heard the term 'root ball' used for paphs. Arborvitae or trees maybe, but I think it fits here :) ) Anyway, I got all of the roots cleaned without a hitch or any breaks so I was pretty happy. Gonna do some breeding with this one! I love kolo crosses! I'll keep everyone posted on what I decide to cross it with.
Maybe a two-step with one of the kolo albas out there???
PS, this is a division of the actual awarded plant. I purchased this directly from Marie Riopelle so it is not one of the many selfings - its the real deal:D:D:D

This is really huge!!!!!! Congrats!!!! Thank for sharing!!! You must have magic skills...:):):)

Wow, lucky you. Great growing on your part...a happy plant. A division of the actual plant has been on my list for awhile....someday. Thanks for sharing yours.

Very nice!

PS, this is a division of the actual awarded plant. I purchased this directly from Marie Riopelle so it is not one of the many selfings - its the real deal:D:D:D

Just out of curiosity, when a plant is selfed, how much variation is there in the prodgeny? And, if a plant has a clonal name, especially a Paph, isn't the only way to get 'the real deal' is by division?

Very nice!
Just out of curiosity, when a plant is selfed, how much variation is there in the prodgeny? And, if a plant has a clonal name, especially a Paph, isn't the only way to get 'the real deal' is by division?
In a species there may not be much variation in a selfing that is clearly obvious. But for sure very few,if any, offspring will be better then the parent. Out crossing is always better. You will get "hybrid vigor" even within any given species. Look at Paph randsii, a selfing will not work. Too inbreed to start with yielding very little to no viable seed. The same thing with sanderianum, orignal selfings gave very little back and what did germinate was weak then died. I, myself have not seen any sandis that have bloomed from the result of a selfing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The "real deal" for slippers is division=correct.

From what I understand, I completely agree with you slipper king.
Kevin, Yes, the only way to get the 'real deal' is by division, but for some people who either dont know better or are trying to pass off a selfing as the original parent, I believe that it bears stating that it is an original division when it is a plant that a) is very very rare and hard to get/find and b) there are a lot of plants in the market that are selfings (as is the case with kolo 'Riopelle'. I have encountered many plants in my day (Winston Churchill 'Indomidable' FCC/AOS for example) that bear a clonal name on the tag but couldn't possibly be divisions because you see 2 flats of seedlings! When you ask about it, the grower says, 'Oh, its a selfing.' So......thats why I made the point. :)
PS, thanks for all of the compliments!

Thanks. Very helpful. By the way, good growing! I'd like to try this species, if only for the name - it's so fun to say! :D

Latest posts

Back