• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Paph. jackii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

upnorthorchids

Does anyone know where I can find a Paph. jackii? I've been looking for quite some time now, and I've only been able to find a hand full of weak seedlings that were WAY too expensive.

technically, at least as far as i know, jackii is not a species that has been legally imported into the u.s...

Welcome to slippertalk, upnorthorchids. Depending on where you are in Minnesota, you have a nearby excellent source of orchids at Orchids Limited.

I work at orchids limited, lol. Jerry dosen't have one for himself even.

If you work at Orchids Limited, why are you asking the forum where you can buy CITES restricted plants? I would think you'd know better.

Paul, many people sell jackii. The point is with an import permit or not, the plant can't be legally imported due to CITES restrictions.

Actually Candace, that's not entirely true. It depends a great deal on whether the plant originated as a flasked seedling.

Although the legal issues are entirely too labyrinthine to make such an easy statement.

Last edited:
"Actually Candace, that's not entirely true. It depends a great deal on whether the plant originated as a flasked seedling."

Gcroz you should read this thread. http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2936&highlight=jackii+illegal

This statement from Matt sums it up. "In the US, though, flask grown plants are only legal if the parent plants were also legal.

As such, most of the Vietnamese species that were discovered in the 1990s and later are illegal, including:

Paph coccineum (bargiberum var. lockianum?), Paph hermannii, Paph hangianum, Paph jackii/hiepii, Paph vietnamense (except the plants released by Antec and their progeny, if there are any), Paph helenae (except those from Antec), Paph dalatense, Paph aspersum, Paph tranlienianum, and maybe others that I can't think of."

And as EricM said, "
Really, the Vietnamese plants are the problem in terms of CITES...as Vietnam is, as far as I know, not a CITES signatory....so all of their plants are considered illegal, even if flasked (that said, I did hear about a supposedly CITES approved flask of hangianum...), as their parents can't be proved to be legally obtained and propagated...but this is also only for the US, as it is the interpretation of the USFW ("fruit of the poisoned tree")."

As I stated earlier, I don't know of any commercially sold, documented jackii for sale. Edit: But I'd love one some day when all the mess is sorted out!

Last edited:
Welcome to this Forum Upnorthorchids!!! :rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

hmmmm do I know you?? I work at OL as well..... :poke:

Robert

Latest posts

Back