Paph Houghtoniae 'Anisha' HCC/AOC & the rest of the Canberra 2012 Spring show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
The Canberra Spring show was this weekend and it was a good one for me personally. My Paph Houghtoniae won Best Paph, Best Seedling of the show, Best Hybrid of the Show and Champion of the show. It is the first time I have won Grand Champion of our Spring show. It was also given a HCC award. I named the plant after my daughter.

If you haven't seen it you can see it at this link -

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26977

As for the other classes, I also picked up Champion Vandaceous with the oddly named Phalaenopsis Nankings 4.55pm 'TSS-32'. This is the first time I have flowered it and the plant is only small but the flowers are just stunning. This was a real hit with the general public. I can't wait to flower this on a bigger plant.

Champion Pleurothallid

Champion Cymbidium - Cymbidium Jurrassic Amber Raptor.jpg

Reserve Champion and Champion Species - Cynorkis compacta

Champion Australian Native - Dendrobium speciosum

Champion Odontoglossum - Augres x pescatorei

Champion Novice Orchid - Pterostylus curta

Champion Specimen Orchid - Dendrobium Speciosum. I had a 16 spike Brassia verrucosa that would have given it a run for its money but it didn't quite open in time. :(

Not a lot of Paphs on display. I had a few but you have seen those. Here are a couple of others.

Paph Somers Hold

A real nice display of speciosums at the show. Three are mine.

Wow, David! Congratulations!

You are right about that Phal -- stunning flowers. I've seen some very nice stripes, but this is the best!

Also, Cymbidium Jurrassic Amber Raptor would make me re-think that I don't have room for Cymbidiums!

Congratulations on your award :)
That show looks fantastic! Looks like you'll know many people who provide excellent culture!

:clap: Bravo David!!!! Well deserved!!!! And yes, the phal. blooms, too, are beauties !!!! :clap: Jean

Btw. I like those dendr. speciosums a LOT !!!!

Nice photos, thank. I really like that Dryadella zebrinus and the Cymbidium Jurrassic Amber Raptor. The speciosums were also lovely. Like the the short stubby ones which are more compact.

The Masdevallia were good to see. Howard Gunn (Sacramento, CA) gave a talk at the Cape Orchid Society last Monday. He elaborated on how he grows his Pleurothalid in oasis (the porous water wicking stuff used by florists) and this enables him to overcome the heat. I'm going to give this a shot with my last surviving Masdevallia: M. barleana Harold

Nice photos, thank. I really like that Dryadella zebrinus and the Cymbidium Jurrassic Amber Raptor. The speciosums were also lovely. Like the the short stubby ones which are more compact.

The Masdevallia were good to see. Howard Gunn (Sacramento, CA) gave a talk at the Cape Orchid Society last Monday. He elaborated on how he grows his Pleurothalid in oasis (the porous water wicking stuff used by florists) and this enables him to overcome the heat. I'm going to give this a shot with my last surviving Masdevallia: M. barleana Harold

Our society had a really good Masdevallia grower who had plants awarded etc. Unfortunately on one hot summers day, the cooling system failed and he lost pretty much everything. Just a tragedy. He was too shattered to continue and he left the society.

The Cynorkis compacta (Reserve champion) is another interesting orchid. It received an award (I forget what you call it) as the first for this species. It will be used to judge all examples of this species against in the future. There were two other orchids that got the same award. We are not a big society but we grow a wide variety of stuff, some of it very rare and unusual. It makes our show an attraction for judges from interstate as they often get to judge things they have never seen before. Three new species in this particular show.

Back