Paph hirsutissimum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great clone of hirsu. My esquirolei is in shealth for over a month now, not sure when the spike will be out. Bud blasted on two previous attempt, so hopefully third time a charm.

Gary are you sure it is Paph. hirsutissimum. When I seen it my first impression was it is a nice Paph. esquirolei. Is it long or short hairs on the stem?

I have nine clones of esquirolei (as purchased), and twelve clones now of hirsuttissimum. Looking at the plants, in general I would say that the leaves of the esquiroleis tend to be broader and more erect (but not all), and yes the flower stems tend to have shorter hairs (but again not all). All very frustrating, as from what I can see in my small collection, these refuse to be placed in the convenient pigeon holes of distinct names, but rather seem to be a range of plants, distinct at the extremes, but very blurred in the middle.:(
Having said that, this bloom does have a prominently hairy stem, and the leaves are more floppy and narrow, so I would be happy to call it a hirsut. (Unless everyone insists otherwise)

I have nine clones of esquirolei (as purchased), and twelve clones now of hirsuttissimum. Looking at the plants, in general I would say that the leaves of the esquiroleis tend to be broader and more erect (but not all), and yes the flower stems tend to have shorter hairs (but again not all). All very frustrating, as from what I can see in my small collection, these refuse to be placed in the convenient pigeon holes of distinct names, but rather seem to be a range of plants, distinct at the extremes, but very blurred in the middle.:(
Having said that, this bloom does have a prominently hairy stem, and the leaves are more floppy and narrow, so I would be happy to call it a hirsut. (Unless everyone insists otherwise)

Yup

Do you know geographic provenance of any of them? 21 clones of esquirolei/hirsuitisimum:crazy::crazy:

I know it sounds a bit mad to have so many clones, but this is one species complex that I always feel you can not have enough of (the other is roths:eek:)
I do have geographical prov of about 50% of them.

I know it sounds a bit mad to have so many clones, but this is one species complex that I always feel you can not have enough of (the other is roths:eek:)
I do have geographical prov of about 50% of them.

Have you ever stuck pins in a map to see if there's any pattern for the esquiroleii "like" vs hirsuitismum "like"?

No, but that is actually a fine idea! I get your drift on this (I think), that hirsut vs esquirolei is not just altitude, but perhaps distinct geographical entities.

No, but that is actually a fine idea! I get your drift on this (I think), that hirsut vs esquirolei is not just altitude, but perhaps distinct geographical entities.

Exactly

If it really was only altitude, then I would be compelled to call the complex a bunch of clinal variants. A bunch of random mtns with hirsut at the tops and esquirolei at the bases

But if large contiguous, non overlapping geographical spans (which may comprise all lowland or upland) look like real species ranges.

We'll see:wink:

Latest posts

Back