Paph hirsustissimum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
At least half of my collection of some 1000+ plants are plants that I keep for my own enjoyment, with no intention of ever putting them up for sale. This is one of them. The flower is nothing special, it is nice, but even well grown not likely to get AOS awards. But I cherish the plant for the memories it brings to mind. I had set this plant back a few years ago, rotted roots off. So this blooming is on a chunk of it that is in a 2.5 inch pot. The flower will be much better when the plant is grown better. The side view shows the trait that gave hirsustissimum its name - the hairs. Much more common in USA cultivation is the variety esquirolei - which means 'shorn' refering to esquirolei's shorter and more sparse hair on the ovary and flower stem.
hirsustissimum646b.jpg

hirsustissimum646a.jpg

The story: This is a Paph hirsustissimum that was given to me in Milwaukee, some years back, maybe 1992. The plant was a gift from Jnan Hankay Rai, of Kathmandu, Nepal. He was in town for his daughter's PHD graduation ceremony. I had taken Jnan on a walk through Illinois Beach State Park to see the native orchids in bloom. The year of his visit he was 88 years old. We were lucky enough to see Calopogon puchellus in bloom. He was delighted, and when we flushed up a garter snake, and I picked it up, Jnan's reaction brought to mind that in his part of the world, king cobra is a common snake. It took a bit to convince him it was non-poisonous, but once I did, he held the snake. Jnan said he had collected this hirsustissimum in Nepal in the 1960's when he was first building his orchid collection. He and I talked about Nepalese orchids, and he ended up bringing several Paph charlesworthii back to Nepal when he left, because as far as he could tell, Paph charlesworthii can no longer be found in Nepal. Jnan Rai was retired, formerly an offical in the Nepalese government, in their equivalent of the Department of Agriculture. His intent was to produce a batch of Paph charleworthii seedlings and re-introduce them back in the the area he had collected from 40 years earlier. I have not heard from him or his family in years, he would be over 100 years old now if he were still with us. This plant always evokes fond memories of a chapter in my life. (yes, there is a much longer version of this tale - but that tale requires imbibing pure distilled spirits aged in oak for at least 10 years, bourbon or scotch preferred). Enjoy

Last edited:
It is just 'kinda' flopping out of a 2.5 inch square x 4 inch tall plastic rose pot. Nothing special. It has not been repotted in 4 years - which it exactly how I had set the plant back 10 years earlier. By not repotting until the roots had largely rotted off. It will get repotted this weekend.

hirsutissimum is in my top favorits since I saw the esquirolei winner in Dijon WOC some years back! My var. chiwuanum is spiking and my hirsutissimum is bringing up a 3 growth! How many growths is this plant? The story, of course, makes it unique!!! Jean

Leo, nice to read the story of this plant. Sometimes it's such a plant's background that makes a plant more valuable than any FCC could do.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Nice flower and great story, Leo. Did you ever think of writing a book? Or at least an article or two for an orchid journal?

Lovely plant Leo and nice story.

I have a love of Nepal and its people as well. In fact my wife is Nepalese also with the surname Rai. Rai is actually a caste and as such a common surname for people from that region (eastern hills of Nepal). We will be heading over to Nepal in October where I have an epic 1 month trek planned in the western areas of Nepal. Not so many orchids there as most of the orchids are found in the wetter areas of eastern Nepal.

I didn't realise charlesworthii used to be found in Nepal. Nepal does have some amazing orchids. Not only Paphs but Cymbidiums and Coelogynes in particular.

David

That is a great story, and as well, this gives me an idea to suggest to our orchid society newsletter editor. I think it would be cool to have people share their stories of a special orchid with other members through our newsletter. Thanks Leo!

Beautiful flower and story Leo. I'm assuming the picture color is accurate, right? If so, I've always been under the impression that Paph hirsustissimum has a green background color in addition to the longer hairs. Is that your impression as well? Also, there have been a few times in my past orchid growing times that I wish I had divide a valuable plant such as this one and past it on to a dear friend. I either wasn't fast enough dividing or the plant wasn't big enough to do so and I lost them:(. Just my thoughts on valuable plants.

Beautiful flower and story Leo. I'm assuming the picture color is accurate, right? If so, I've always been under the impression that Paph hirsustissimum has a green background color in addition to the longer hairs. Is that your impression as well?
To my eye the color is right on. I did not use a flash, and I did the 'White Balance" color correction function that most digital cameras have, and I have found that the colors are reasonably accurate when I do this.

I do not rely on color to distinguish species and variety, except as a secondary trait. Color is not a stable trait in orchid populations. For the 3 varieties I use the hair length to separate hirsustissimum and esquirolei, and the size & shape difference for chiwaensis. (spelling?). Esquirolei and hirsustissimum have about the same color plan to my eye. I could not tell them apart without being able to look at the flower stem and ovary. THe third variety is lighter colored to my eye, less brown, but the smaller flower size and shape differences are my main clues. One would have to go back to the original descriptions to know what the key differences are, and I know the hair length was one key difference between the first two. I forget what distinguishes the 3rd. I believe the 3 variants are geographic races, hirsustissimum being a slightly higher elevation plant, esquirolei from lower elevations and the 3rd from Guizhou plateau in China.

there have been a few times in my past orchid growing times that I wish I had divide a valuable plant such as this one and past it on to a dear friend. I either wasn't fast enough dividing or the plant wasn't big enough to do so and I lost them:(. Just my thoughts on valuable plants.

The good news is that while hirsustissimum is no where near as common as esquirolei in the USA market, there are a number of clones around. "Rinaman' is a clone of hirsustissimum that has been trading around the midwest and it is pretty good as they go. I will put it up on slipper talk when I have a spare division, ;) I do try to propagate the rare ones. It doesn't always work, but I try. It is important that people don't treat the species as if they were a limitless disposable commodity.

Leo,

Great story and very nice flower!
What culture do you give it. I grow it; but have not had success in flowering.:sob:

I give all my Paphs the same culture - as one friend in particular tells me - bad, mostly bad culture - but lets not get lost in talking about my personal tastes. :evil:

Seriously, I grow all the Paphs intermediate, and both esquiolei and hirsustissimum are fairly consistient bloomers for me. I use a bark & charcol mix for everything. The hirsustissimum tends to bloom in spring on short flower stems. The esquirolei is a fall bloomer and the flowers tend to be above the foliage, or at least on stems long enough to be above the foliage if I staked them. Vegetatively the plants of all 3 varieties look quite similar to my eye. In fact I can not tell villosum from esquirolei from exul from henryanum from hirsustissimum from insigne when they are not in bud or bloom. They all look a lot alike, especialy as young plants.

Something to watch out for - don't divide these plants too much. New growths often don't put out roots until their second or third year. You can have a 4 growth clump that really only has roots on the oldest growth. Good news is they tend to put out more than one new growth per year.

Generally this group of species is one of my more reliable orchids in my conditions.

Leo

Latest posts

Back