Paph herrmannii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
first flowering of this small plant was in nov. last year, and here some pict. of this year's bloom! Jean

paphiopedilumhermannii4pz4.jpg

paphiopedilumhermannii4yw6.jpg

That is very nice! I don't think I've seen that before.

Okay, I'm confused - is it a species or a natural hybrid of hirsutissimum var. esquirolei x helenae? (or barbigerum?) I looked at Stephen's site but there seemed to be confusion on the issue amongst Averyanov and Cribb.

Any resolution?

(hopefully I won't be editing this message a 5th time!) :rollhappy:

Okay, I'm confused - is it a species or a natural hybrid of hirsutissimum var. esquirolei x helenae? (or barbigerum?) I looked at Stephen's site but there seemed to be confusion on the issue amongst Averyanov and Cribb.

Any resolution?

Heather, I like the Koopowitz description: '...Therefore, I treat this as species originally of hybrid origin.'
Jean

Any resolution?

Heather,
Here is what Koopowitz had to say in 2000. He may have revised it since.
http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchidtalk/paph_doc.pdf

Heather,
Here is what Koopowitz had to say in 2000. He may have revised it since.
http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchidtalk/paph_doc.pdf

Until somebody does some DNA analysis and quits guessing based on flower metrics it will always be a matter of speculation.

Averyanov admits that its all speculation, pointing out that henryanum, helenae, and tranlineanum all are found within the range of hirsutisimum, and could be the other half of the hybrid. However these species are generally separate temporally by having different blooming seasons. The best chance for temporal as well as spatial overlap is between hirsutisimum and henryanum rather than with helenae or tranlineanum.

Koopowitz likes the distinct species idea because man made hybrids don't look like wild collected hermanii. However, it is my understanding that hermanii exist in the wild only as rare scattered plants found among stands of other species (not what I would call species populations). Hermanii could be a sport (mutant) of hirsutisimum or henryanum??? That would keep it a species, but fit the pattern of observance in the wild (just like an albino or melanistic).

Hows that for more speculation:poke::poke:

Cool looking hermanii Jean. I've only seen one in real life hear, and I like the colors in yours better. Nice ruffles.

Even DNA anaylsis as being done right now with Cattleya won't tell you much.

A species, even if it is of hybrid origin in the distant past is still a good species. I do not see reports of intermediate forms favoring helenae or hirsustissimum. All the hermanii I have see in person and in photos, is clearly hermanii = this argues against recent hybrid origin for the species. Hermanii may very well be a good species just as ancient in lineage as heleneae or henryanum.

Even DNA anaylsis as being done right now with Cattleya won't tell you much.

A species, even if it is of hybrid origin in the distant past is still a good species. I do not see reports of intermediate forms favoring helenae or hirsustissimum. All the hermanii I have see in person and in photos, is clearly hermanii = this argues against recent hybrid origin for the species. Hermanii may very well be a good species just as ancient in lineage as heleneae or henryanum.
I like your logic Leo!:)

http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/people/tanaka/envietpaph7.html
Here is another source of info on P. herrmannii, which if true, brings into question the rareity of this species/natural hybrid.

Actually Dr. Tanaka's logic about the comonality of hermanii, is the same as mine for supporting the suposition that if its a species (and not a recent hybrid or random mutant variety) it's got to be found in viable populations that can reproduce itself.

So now I'm pretty interested in seeing the population data for hermanii.

Latest posts

Back