Paph. henryanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e-spice

Reaction score
I got this one around the 2003 timeframe from Carter & Holmes. It has been growing S/H in the same 3-inch dixie cup since then. Not the biggest or best form but seems to be as cheery as any henry you'll find. Usually blooms four each year.

e-spice

IMG_1182.JPG

Great culture. About the roots; can you tell if the root system is similar to your bellatulum's roots in this S/H culture?? I hope I'm correct, you are the one with that beautifully grown, massive bellatulum aren't you?

.... but seems to be as cheery as any henry you'll find. Usually blooms four each year.

ONLY four each year! And those horrible spots...you should probably throw the plant out:poke::poke:

Its a keeper!

Great culture. About the roots; can you tell if the root system is similar to your bellatulum's roots in this S/H culture?? I hope I'm correct, you are the one with that beautifully grown, massive bellatulum aren't you?

Thanks for the nice comments. I suspect the roots are similar to the bella you're referring to. The pot feels pretty tight, which usually indicate a lot of roots.

Beautifully grown henryanum definitely...

I think definitely yes, but you should remember that bellatulum does not grow like the other brachys. It is always wet at the roots, like wenshanense and quite a few colonies of concolor... That's why people tend to loose bellatulum too, it does not like to have its roots dry, or dead root tips, cracks in the root structure. The next time you water, orange pythium rot guaranteed, that's how most of them finish.

I think definitely yes, but you should remember that bellatulum does not grow like the other brachys. It is always wet at the roots, like wenshanense and quite a few colonies of concolor... That's why people tend to loose bellatulum too, it does not like to have its roots dry, or dead root tips, cracks in the root structure. The next time you water, orange pythium rot guaranteed, that's how most of them finish.

Interesting info and contradictory to popular belief! Hmm, no wonder I lost a couple of bellatulum to that orange rot... :( The bellatulum that grew best for me was in potting mix, before it got crown rot.. sigh

Back