Paph Help

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Phyrex

This is my Paph. Jogjae and it's in pretty bad shape. Is there any way I can still save this guy? I don't see any new roots or growths developing at all.

Attachments

• Jogjae leaves.JPG
    Jogjae leaves.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Jogjae roots.JPG
    Jogjae roots.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 51
Hi! and welcome!!!

Are the roots mushy and wet? Any medicinal sort of scent anywhere around the plant. It really could be either. I would lean towards too dry upon first glance but it is a little hard to tell. It's the rolling under of the leaves in the first picture that makes me think that.

Is this plant a division of another plant or a flowered seedling???
To me, if it was a division it was too small a piece to handle it or a single growth seedling that couldn't handle the flowering. I don't think it likes what its growing in either plus being over potted.
I would trim off the bad roots and repot it into Sphagnum Moss and a much smaller pot.

ok. here is what you should do. slide the loose and rotted away outer cover of the roots away where this has happened. leave the inner root and others that have not rotten alone. i also would not reccomend cutting anything. just slide them off with your hands. then repot in a nice, fairly course mix, in a much smaller pot than you had it in previously. just enough to comfortably hold the roots. when i say a nice course mix, keep it simple, just like big bark pieces mixed with big perlite pieces at ~ 2:1 ratio. water the plant in real good and give a broadspectrum fungicide/beneficial drench if possible. then leave the plant be and keep it on the dryer side, not dry, drier, until new roots grow and the plant sends up some new shoots. this plant should be fine...

I've just repotted it this morning. Only a few roots that passed but it's going to be tough to get this guy back. I did see something green coming out of the base of the current fan so hopefully it's a root or new growth ; not sure what I'd prefer in this case since a growth wouldn't have sufficient root support and a root wouldn't necessarily mean that this guy would make it.

It does look pretty cute in it's make-shift pot.

Attachments

• 2008060023A.JPG
    2008060023A.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 25
if its green its a new shoot and that means new roots will come. whether they come off of that growth or the older fan. just be patient. the plant will be ok. maybe try fertilizing with some diluted molasses or epsom salts to give the plant some extra sugars and sulfates during this time also..

Latest posts

Back