Paph Fairy Bird

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fairy Bird = fowliei x fairrieanum. I just received confirmation on the registration. Even though I made the cross, Jason, Jerry and the crew at Orchids, Ltd. bloomed the first plant. Many thanks to Jason for allowing me to photograph it. :)

Paphfowlieixfairrieanum.jpg

Paphfowlieixfairrieanumplant.jpg

That is a lot nicer than I would have imagined. Beautiful. Given there unorthodox shape, it never ceases to amaze me how nice fairrieanum hybrids are.

David

I'm glad the fowliei contributed only what it was supposed to add :wink:

Very nice flower!

I'm glad the fowliei contributed only what it was supposed to add :wink:

Very nice flower!

One could only tell what would happen until the cross was made. It seems that Paph fowliei has been dismissed as a parent even before it was used for any sort of hybridizing because of it's unimpressive flower. It does, however, have two characteristics that I like: its small size and vigorous, clumping growth habit. That's why I decided to experiment with fowliei, using two species that tend to dominate the flower, fairrieanum (form) and henryanum (color). I did a couple other crosses with Brachy's just out of curiosity.

Latest posts

Back