Paph. Duke of Marlborough - new primary; guess the parents.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

I will post 2 new multifloral hybrids that recently bloomed that we made. I will let you guess what the parents are. This one is a new primary multifloral. We named it Paph. Duke of Marlborough. He was the grandfather of Sir Winston Curchill, and was a big orchid collector in the 1800's.

Can you guess the 2 parents?

PaphDukeofMarlborough-plant-1217200.jpg

PaphDukeofMarlborough12172007.jpg

PaphDukeofMarlborough-close-1217200.jpg

Robert

Gorgeous pix! Since it's an unregistered primary, I'm going to have to guess Paph. platyphyllum (ex Paph. stonei var. latifolium) is one parent as I'd have to say most of the multi X multi primaries with "traditional names" are named. For this one my guess is...

Paph. platyphyllum X Paph. philippinense

I picked the second parent based on the rich red in the petals and on the inflorescence. I'll even go out on a limb and say you used phil var. roebelinii or whatever you'd like to call the longer petaled form of phil.

If I'm off with the platyphyllum, then that side is either stonei or kolopakingii??? Or maybe platyphyllum x kolopakingii? Ok, I have no *one* guess, so sue me.

-Ernie

The plant size appears to be compact, therefore I will go for philipinense x stonei or
stonei x sand???

I think it's philippinense x wilhelminae.

Crud, it's already been named though, so that isn't it either...

You guys...hint, hint this is a cross that HASN'T been named already. Oops, I meant was just named by Robert.

Ernies first idea sounds good to me, but as it isn't a winner, I guess
platyphyllum x randsii.

Cheers, Carsten

Actually Ernie had it right all along!!:clap::clap::clap:

He even guessed that I used the roebelinii form of philippinense, which is correct. Very smart man. This shows he knows his slippers well!!

I actually really like how this cross turned out. I think it almost turned out better than both parents (especially the platyphyllum parent). I have already crossed this plant onto one of our best Michael Koopowitz (also made with the roebelinii form of philippinense), to get the sanderianum influence in there.

Robert

I really like that cross - the white in the dorsal combined w/ the dark red petals is lovely. Plus, as someone mentioned it doesn't look like a gigantic plant either. What is the leafspan, or was that in the first post and I missed it (drawback to quickreply, I can't look back at that page w/o making my quickreply slow lol)

Actually Ernie had it right all along!!:clap::clap::clap:

He even guessed that I used the roebelinii form of philippinense, which is correct. Very smart man. This shows he knows his slippers well!!

I actually really like how this cross turned out. I think it almost turned out better than both parents (especially the platyphyllum parent). I have already crossed this plant onto one of our best Michael Koopowitz (also made with the roebelinii form of philippinense), to get the sanderianum influence in there.

Robert

Oh yeah! Who's your daddy!? :) Or if you're in Indiana, Hoosier daddy. :rollhappy:
Both of these crosses are sweet Doc. Keep up the good work. The adductum cross is cool because of its compact nature.

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back