Paph Dellaina - Photo Question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Berrak

Taken this morning with Mikro Nikkor 60mm and tripod. Natural light. 1/100, 5.6

How would you rang sharpness from a scale 1-10 where 10 is highest sharpness?

Paph-Dellaina1.jpg

The sharpness is good, maybe a 6 or 7. But you need to work on your depth of field. Decrease your appature size by increasing your F-number. This will make your exposure quite high. I take most of my pictures at F36 for 1-5 seconds. When the shutter is open that long it is important to not have any air movement and you have to use a tripod. To reduce camera movement, I use the delay setting. So I press the button and 10 seconds later the shutter opens.

I can't read your EXIF info from this computer, so I don't know if you've done the above. OPPS! I see you did include the shutter speed and appature setting. Increase your F-number to 20-30 and more of your flower will appear in focus.

Hope that helps.

Kyle

Last edited:
Kyle thanks for the tip. When Santa finally gets off his as@ and delivers my tripod, I'll experiment with what you suggested.

The sharpness is good, maybe a 6 or 7. But you need to work on your depth of field. Decrease your appature size by increasing your F-number. This will make your exposure quite high. I take most of my pictures at F36 for 1-5 seconds. When the shutter is open that long it is important to not have any air movement and you have to use a tripod. To reduce camera movement, I use the delay setting. So I press the button and 10 seconds later the shutter opens.

I can't read your EXIF info from this computer, so I don't know if you've done the above. OPPS! I see you did include the shutter speed and appature setting. Increase your F-number to 20-30 and more of your flower will appear in focus.

Hope that helps.

Kyle

I agree. I took some this weekend, which I hope to get posted soon, and because of available light the shots were up to 15 seconds. You can also get a cable release which isolates the shock of pushing the button.

I like this photo. If it were me, I'd try to have the background as out-of-focus as possible to draw the eye to the beautiful hairs along the petal edges. It's really a very pretty photo! :clap:

F-stop controls depth of field. You see the numbers written as whole numbers: 8, 16, 22, etc. but they are really fractions with F=1, so F/8 = 1/8, F/22 = 1/22. You can see that the smaller the fraction, the larger the denominator, and the greater the D/F. The plane of sharp focus is just that: a plane. D/F relates to how much looks sharp in front of and behind the plane of sharp focus.

The plane of sharp focus on your photo, Berrak, is very good, but your D/F is quite shallow. Using a tripod should enable you to choose a smaller F/stop (and therefore a slower shutter speed) which will extend the D/F. Of course, when you are focusing very close, the D/F at any given F/stop is going to be more shallow than if your focus is from a greater distance.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, Eric. It's the teacher in me...

Lessons?! We don't need no stinkin' lessons!!
Speak for yourself!

Thanks Dot & Kyle & anyone else that wants to chime in. I did play around today, as we had good natural light but I returned to my former settings. I need to go back to the manual & make sure I'm using the different settings correctly.

It looks good to me. I'm still working on my macro skills, etc.- Keep up the good work!! You're way ahead of me!!! :clap:

Improving:)

New test: Photoshop compressed from original size to 370 kB (80% quality).

Thanks a lot for the info about taking sharper pics:rollhappy:

Paph-Dellaina4.jpg

And comparison with Tamron 90 SP with Nikon Adaptall. Manual settings of T and F

Paph-Dellaina5.jpg

Looks good, much more of the flower is in focus, especially the top one.

My personal preference is not for backlit photos.

Kyle

I really do think lighting can make or break a photo. I'm still experimenting on what works best, too. I also don't care for back lit photos. A good back drop can be made inexpensively and makes photos look professional.

I'm not a professional photographer by any means, but I actually like that these photos are backlit. With the window in the background, it would naturally be backlit. And it does emphasize the hairs along the edges. Good job! :clap:

very interesting comparison shots!!!!
IMO: esp. in the 2nd pict, the advantages and disadvantages of a large depth of field are visible! there is an almost absolutely sharp flower and a disturbing :) background fence, and this is why I pers. prefer the first pic. even with less D/F. Ideally the background should be a (more) neutral one to show the effect of D/F! IMO :)
Jean

I like backlit photos, I love all those hairy edges but in this case, with this one, I think something is missing not being able to clearly see the stam.

Normally I like standard shots, but there are some times that a back-lit photo is just sooo cool! ;)

Thanks for the comments.

Jean - it is possible to get the background more unsharp, but remember those pics are experiments to achive more sharp pictures ant just now we have very little natural light.

I prefer natural light but use also flash and other light sources.

Latest posts

Back