Paph delenatii alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to the rescheduled NJOS meeting Thursday evening and came home with a del alba and a calanthe hybrid. I didn't look closely at the hybrid; it's just bulbs and no shoots. Is there chance the pot was mislabeled? Didn't know calanthes had pbulbs.

y7epaveg.jpg

4evy5ume.jpg

zuzesana.jpg

It's a one-growth very healthy seedling from Cal Orchid, no clonal name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bud has opened!

I took the plant home so that it could open in more light. Had a few embers of faded winter light left this evening so took some pictures.

delalba314a.JPG

whole plant

Close-ups at a few different angles
delalba314b.JPG

delalba314c.JPG

delalba314d.JPG

flower may still be opening a little. tried to detect a fragrance but couldn't find any. it's neither warm nor humid (or bright) in my apt so if it might have fragrance it's holding back for nicer conditions!

Not all delenatii have fragrance. Show us the Calanthe.

I'm not sure it really is a calanthe, the pseudobulbs look more like encyclia.

gagazuna.jpg

The tag which had a root stuck to it says cal. Rozel 'new berry' c Rozel 'mendenhall pink'. There was one other up for auction that had a leaf and flowers; this one has no leaves/green or flowers. If it is one, is it going to sprout this season?

Very nice delenatii Charles. Not much ragged edges to the petals like a lot of them do. Nice balance as well.

I did find online that the hybrid is most likely what the label says, and that there are two or three different kinds of calanthes. I'd assumed that they were all terrestrial and come up from the ground each year

I did find online that the hybrid is most likely what the label says, and that there are two or three different kinds of calanthes. I'd assumed that they were all terrestrial and come up from the ground each year

I grew Calanthe vestita and a hybrid for a few years and your PBs could be Calanthe Rozel.

The way I interpret your tag, the Calanthe is Calanthe Rozel, a seedling the result of crossing 2 different clones of Calanthe Rozel. I have had a Calanthe or two for many years. Rozel is a deciduous hybrid. It should flower in the middle of its dry dormant rest. Its parents are all warm growing low elevation species. Temps as for a Phalaenopsis.

So, when there are no leaves do not water at all. When the new growth is up at least 1/2 inch, then start watering. While in active growth, they want LOTS of water, and bright, Cattleya bright light. I accidentally set one, in spring in a Phrag tray of water, it grew so well standing in shallow water that I have repeated this several years in a row. You don't have to set them in water, it was a surprise as to how well it worked. Cool and wet is not good, warm and wet is good. They really want water and sun when growing. When leaves start to yellow, quit watering. Dry them out completely. Usually mine are dormant from Christmas until late March or early April. If you want to break dormancy early store them in a warm and sunny spot. They won't wake up if too cool. If grown wam, and stored dormant in warm temps, dormancy can be less than one month. For me, usually 3 months. Other than that, they are easy.

The flower bud will appear during the dry rest dormancy. I don't water while the flower stem is developing, only a single watering or two when the buds separate from the stem. Otherwise I keep them dry until new growth starts. Flowers don't last very long, maybe 1 to 2 weeks, but they open sequentially, and can be in bloom a long time. They are pretty.

Latest posts

Back