Paph (Blanche Sawyer 'Snowman' AM/AOS x Ballet Girl)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two older plants crossed, yielding a smaller plant and flower. Blanche Sawyer (FC Puddle x Gwen Hannen) was registered in 1962, and Ballet Girl (Leeanum x Clinkaberryanum) was registered in 1929. Bought this out of curiosity.

PaphBlancheSawyerxBalletGirlF1.jpg

PaphBlancheSawyerxBalletGirlplnt.jpg

That si a very welcoming flower. Looks like its reaching out with a big hug. The warm colours are also very pleasing. It has such a nice open and well balanced form. It carries the petals so well.

I am very envious.

Well Ross how's your curiosity now? Did it get satisfied? Looks darn good to me. You even have a double budded stem.

Well Ross how's your curiosity now? Did it get satisfied? Looks darn good to me. You even have a double budded stem.

I'm not real excited by the dull colors, but the dorsal is "locked in" and won't reflex. I'm a little surprised by the coloration, given that Blanche Sawyer 'Snowman' is a white and Ballet Girl is a flower with a fairly white dorsal with some maroon spotting and a beautiful dark red/maroon pouch. The overall shape is nice and the flowers are still opening. I'd like the petals to be wider, but considering the parentage, they're probably about the size they should be. I like the small size, 7 or 8 growths in a 3 inch pot. From what I've read, there's a good chance it won't breed well even if I decide to try because it is a second generation FC Puddle hybrid.

One thing is certain, it's a wild genetic mix with Ballet Girl being 25% spicerianum, 25% insigne, 25% curtisii, and 25% philippinense; and Blanche Sawyer being 56% insigne, 25% spicerianum, 6% bellatulum, 6% niveum, 3% druryi, and 3% villosum.

That's really sweet. The size sounds like it would be a real bonus for anyone with limited space.

12.5% philippinense! hmm... who woulda thunk it... even with that second bud on one of the spikes...

One thing is certain, it's a wild genetic mix with Ballet Girl being 25% spicerianum, 25% insigne, 25% curtisii, and 25% philippinense; and Blanche Sawyer being 56% insigne, 25% spicerianum, 6% bellatulum, 6% niveum, 3% druryi, and 3% villosum.
This plant is all over the genera!! Philippinense even!!
In general, what would you get by mixing Brachy's into classical complexs? more of a Brachy shape?

This plant is all over the genera!! Philippinense even!!
In general, what would you get by mixing Brachy's into classical complexs? more of a Brachy shape?

Results can vary tremendously. Here's five results from the same cross. These are pictures I've previously posted of Paph (Coorong x Wellconabe), a standard complex by a complex Brachy. Wellconabe = Wellesleyanum x Conco-bellatulum.

PaphCoorongxWellconabe1-1.jpg

PaphCoorongxWellconabe2-1.jpg

PaphCoorongxWellconabe3-1.jpg

PaphCoorongxWellconabe4-1.jpg

PaphCoorongxWellconabe5-1.jpg

Ross, that is what I was hoping for. basically a rounded flower with complex markings. The odds of getting a decent one doesn't look bad either. I see 2 out of 5:p

Ross, that is what I was hoping for. basically a rounded flower with complex markings. The odds of getting a decent one doesn't look bad either. I see 2 out of 5:p

If I did use a Brachy with this one, I'm thinking niveum might be a good choice, because it would continue the initial attempt of producing a white flower started by using Blanche Sawyer. Another possibility would be to try and "liven up" the dull colors, but I'm not sure what to use.

Back