Paph. barbigerum v. album 'Albino Beauty' (division)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It gets approximately 58°F to 60°F at night in the winter. It gets both warmer nights and colder nights in the summer as I don't heat in June, July and August. Sometimes it can be very warm overnight; but, sometimes the nighttime temps drop into the upper 40's F.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I am so happy I took the plunge and bought this. It makes me very happy. Other than I'd like to see the dorsal a little wider at the base, I think it is just perfect!😄

Thank you.
I will take good care. I figured out why I had problems with some of my plants. Despite there being many healthy green root tips on many plants, especially Catts, in my greenhouse, I had a water quality issue. I had switched from using RO water with a tiny amount of fertilizer added, to using pure RO for daily watering and misting and a twice per month fertilizing. The RO feed water is from a well and it has a high TDS. Different elements are removed at different rates. It seems that the RO product water being produced from my well water had a less than ideal residue of certain elements (Sodium?). The result was that some plants did very well anyway because they simply has a natural tolerance for the quality of my RO product water.....AND some plants did not have the same tolerance. I lost a few important plants because of this, including my Paph helenae 'Charlie'. 😫
Since I have stopped using the pure RO water, all my plants have REALLY perked up and done very well! I am so pleased that I solved the mysterious problem; but, it broke my heart to lose my helenae 'Charlie'. 😔

John, if that flower isn't nigh to perfection, I do not know, what perfect is! It's stunning!
And kudos for the growing - such a nice little lump of utterly healthy looking growths. Hat off! 🤞

(And most heartfelt commiserations for 'Charlie' joining the celestial chorus in Orchid Heaven!)

Thank you, both. This is an adorable barbigerum. Sadly, I doubt I'll ever get another helenae as nice as 'Charlie'. It was so vigorous and such a good grower/performer. When it began to lose leaves, I didn't get concerned. I should have. I just assumed it was a die-off of old foliage and natural. But, the issue quickly evolved into a big, very unnatural dyeing off. Suddenly, I realized the plant was in trouble and by that point, the root system was in very bad health. I struggled with it for a long time; but, at that time, I still didn't realize the RO water was the cause. So, it just continued to go downhill.

I should note: Paph. barbigerum v. album 'Albino Beauty' has an AM/AOS. I wasn't sure when I started this thread: so, I left the award off the name. However, now the forum won't let me edit my post. 🙄

Latest posts

Back