Paph barbigerum 'Joan' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My nicest barbigerum, I purchased the division a couple of years ago.
PaphbarbigerumJoan608.jpg

It's in a 2 1/2 inch pot. The growths have grown more compact as I have had it. Perhaps my light intensity is a little higher than the person I bought it from grew it in.

It could be light, but I'm also seeing low air humidity cause increasing small growths. A new idea I'm playing with (especially for the calciolous species) is low phosphorus. As the potting mix breaks down and becomes acidic P becomes harder for the plants to uptake. Calciolous species often have unlimited P from the limestone they are attached to with a fairly constant pH. I would try some top dressing with bone meal during the fast grow time on this plant Ross. Top dressing with oyster shell or lime will boost pH and calcium, but until you get a couple of fertilizer cycles in the oyster shell will actually suck up the P, and in the short term make the plant work harder to get P out of the potting mix.

This is a very nice barbigerum!!

It could be light, but I'm also seeing low air humidity cause increasing small growths. A new idea I'm playing with (especially for the calciolous species) is low phosphorus. As the potting mix breaks down and becomes acidic P becomes harder for the plants to uptake. Calciolous species often have unlimited P from the limestone they are attached to with a fairly constant pH. I would try some top dressing with bone meal during the fast grow time on this plant Ross. Top dressing with oyster shell or lime will boost pH and calcium, but until you get a couple of fertilizer cycles in the oyster shell will actually suck up the P, and in the short term make the plant work harder to get P out of the potting mix.

Thank you for the thoughts. I will try some experiments using your suggestions.

That's for that bit of advice, I'm having some trouble just growing one, let alone bloooming it!
It's a doll!

Latest posts

Back