Paph. adductum var. anitum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
I purchased this plant from a well-known commercial grower in Florida who claimed that it was the anitum variety of adductum. I also purchased the plain adductum. The seedlings were about the same size (6 inches across) 4 years ago, but this plant has grown very fast while the plain adductum is only 8 inches across. The plain adductum has shown no signs of blooming.

Paphadductumvaranitum04-14-2011.jpg
[/IMG]

Paphadductumvaranitummeasured04-14-2011.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
awesome!
PM me if your willing to let me know who you got this plant from, Id love to get one for myself.

i suggest you cut off the spike and put it in a vase of water...that plant could decline quickly if it runs out of energy. and save me some pollen if you please :)

i suggest you cut off the spike and put it in a vase of water...that plant could decline quickly if it runs out of energy. and save me some pollen if you please :)

Do you think that it's going for a last shot at reproduction before falling off the twig? It seems like a pretty strong grower to me.

apologies, it looks strong to me too. I didn't mean to imply the plant is anywhere near dying.

I am just overcautious, with any multifloral they expend a lot of energy to flower on single growths and i am always anxious to see the new growth get going. You've done a fantastic job (as always) growing this plant... in my experience they can be a little touchy this one is worth keeping going!

apologies, it looks strong to me too. I didn't mean to imply the plant is anywhere near dying.

I am just overcautious, with any multifloral they expend a lot of energy to flower on single growths and i am always anxious to see the new growth get going. You've done a fantastic job (as always) growing this plant... in my experience they can be a little touchy this one is worth keeping going!

No need to apologize.

If you'd like pollen, I can try to save some. The flower has only been open for 3 days at full expansion. Let me know when you think I should try to harvest and I will give it my best shot.

Actually, now I wish I had cut off the spike on my Paph. Kemp Tower -- maybe it would be alive today. :sob:

That is stunning. Love the dorsal.

Are these legal in the US now? I thought there was CITES issues. Or do you just call it adductum to get round it?

David

You're frightening me now. I'm seriously thinking of cutting the spike.

The flower is incredible. LOVE IT! However, the plant looks a bit "thin". If this were my plant, I'd cut the spike now. A multifloral should not be allowed to hold blooms on a single growth that is not incredibly robust and "Butch"; especially if the second growth is not well under way. If this is a single growth with no new growth showing, you're in big trouble if you don't cut that spike right away.

If I'd cut the spike on my single growth, $900.00 division of a World Orchid Congress Bronze Medal winning Paph. St. Swithin, I'd not have watched in horror as the flowers faded and the single growth gave up and turned a dull grey/green dead shortly afterwards. I was so determined to enjoy my expensive plant in bloom, that I caused it's death! :(

That is stunning. Love the dorsal.

Are these legal in the US now? I thought there was CITES issues. Or do you just call it adductum to get round it?

David

The vendor (a US vendor) said that CITES regulates species not varieties of species. As a result he said that this was "legal". One of my reasons for posting was to elicit opinions about its status relative to such regulation. If anyone has other information, please let me know.

I really like the dark dorsal :D

Nice plant now the question remains:

To snip or not to snip, that's the question.

That is fantastic but I think I would snip it as well. My antium did not continue growth from the main crown but put out a side growth. Everything was going along fine until one day the newest leaf turned brown! I pulled it off and dabbed some triple antibiotic on the area. Fine once again with a new leaf coming up from both the old and new growths but these plants are tricky and easily set back.

Latest posts

Back