P. stonei culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZWUM

Reaction score
I'm slowly increasing my Paph. collection and this weekend I got a nice sized P. stonei. I'd greatly appreciate some basic culture advise. Does anyone find a particular mix that works well for this sp? TIA for any input!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397521459.659458.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. It is pretty easy to grow and bring stoneis to bloom if you can give them enough light. But some clones (especially older ex-collected ones) can be very slow growing. Bigger clumps need 20 years. New clones are growing faster (just like roth actually).

I use a mixture of Diatomite, Orchiata and grow stone. It is potted in a clear air cone style pot. The plant gorws rapidly regardless of low light or low temps. I bought it last year with a PB growth and a new start. The new start is now in low bud and it has 3 new growths. The second of which may also bud this year.

I think the trick is buying an old/mature plant. Mine was from OI about 7 years ago.

I bought it last year with a PB growth and a new start. The new start is now in low bud and it has 3 new growths. The second of which may also bud this year.

Wow, very impressive indeed. What fertilizer are you using? I am just wondering because yours seems to clump very fast. Three new growths in one year for a two growth plant is very good

Great thanks everyone for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, very impressive indeed. What fertilizer are you using? I am just wondering because yours seems to clump very fast. Three new growths in one year for a two growth plant is very good

You should check out Paphman's stonei.

I have used Klite over the past year that I have had it. I am now staring to alternate this with Seaweed extract and MSU clean water.

Hey Paphman:
Any ideas on the parentage? Your plant and mine look eerily similar. Yours definitely has more bulk it. Kudos!

Hey Paphman:
Any ideas on the parentage? Your plant and mine look eerily similar. Yours definitely has more bulk it. Kudos!

Parentage is 'Prancer' x 'Hummungous'. A few years ago I emailed Terry Root about this cross and he has not heard of it but he told me he may have given pollen away('Hummungous'). Funny thing is Zephyrus Orchids got the same cross.

Not sure where they got it from!

You freak! I have seen your plant previously, but not with 14 growths. Impressive growing rate in only 7 years!

this must be a sib of the 7 growth stonei I got from Sam...(that i sold) ..great..so, has this bloomed?Mine never bloomed

September 15, 2013

Sept 15, 2009

Originally got it in late 2008 as a 7 inch seedling from Orchid Inn. Now it has a total of 14 growths.

Latest posts

Back