P. gardneri

• Thread starter Eric Muehlbauer
  • Start date
Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrgh. I thought I had this taxon under control. Note to self, don't post just before bed- i'll never sleep now.

Ok, how would one latinize "Wilhelmina"??? I have Braem's opinion on hand and verify Elena's comments. But it all comes down to the original literaure and any emmendations.

I love this stuff (weird, I know)...

-Ernie

This one has been brought up a few other times Ernie. What do you mean by the OD reprint? The 2000 Checklist by Koopowitz? (I have that)

I have the checklist too. No, look at the bottom of the page I linked. It mentions a 1980 O Digest. Here's where the problem lies, authors spell it how they want. I love Lance's book, but it spells it both ways on the same page. The Wiliams cite will settle the case, but I doubt UIC has old AOS bulletins on hand.

-Ernie

Regardless of spelling, Cribb (1998) and Koopowitz (2000) both seem to ignore Garay's review (1998) which splits gardneri from wilhelm, leaving gardneri synonymous with wilhelm.

Per the Kew Monocot list...

"Paphiopedilum wilhelminae L.O.Williams, Amer. Orchid Soc. Bull. 10: 373 (1942).
This name is accepted."

Upon entering "Paphiopedilum wilhelminiae" one gets "Your search returned no results, please refine your search criteria."

Paphiopedilum gardineri is a synonym with and is accepted as Paphiopedilum glanduliferum. "Paphiopedilum gardneri" returns no hits due to the missing "i" (gardIneri).

The searchable list is available at...
http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/home.do

Thanks all for questioning this! Kudos for not letting it slide easily- our own internal peer-review system. But I still won't be happy until I see Williams' article. :)

-Ernie

Per the Kew Monocot list...

"Paphiopedilum wilhelminae L.O.Williams, Amer. Orchid Soc. Bull. 10: 373 (1942).
This name is accepted."

Upon entering "Paphiopedilum wilhelminiae" one gets "Your search returned no results, please refine your search criteria."

Paphiopedilum gardineri is a synonym with and is accepted as Paphiopedilum glanduliferum. "Paphiopedilum gardneri" returns no hits due to the missing "i" (gardIneri).

The searchable list is available at...
http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/home.do

Thanks all for questioning this! Kudos for not letting it slide easily- our own internal peer-review system. But I still won't be happy until I see Williams' article. :)

-Ernie

I dunno, Ernie, I think it was probably just a typo :evil:

Here's a new photo, with all the flowers open...sorry, its not a good shot. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back