Owl

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful! I'm amazed that the owl let you take the photo. Normally, I see barn, hoot and saw whet owls
this time of year. I've not seen any of them so far this winter. When you have a spare moment, would you
mind revealing where you found an owl house...or made possibly?

Barred Owls and Great horned Owls generally do not nest in boxes. Barred Owls are actually quite tolerant of humans.
The species of owls that commonly nest in boxes here east of the Mississippi are Screech Owls and Barn Owls. Most places in the east also have fairly good population of Long-eared Owls, and Saw whet owls. Both of those are not known to nest in boxes.

In the 9 years I lived in South Florida, the Burrowing Owls were the most common by far. We helped the city of Cape Coral do a Burrowing Owl survey every 5 years. Total burrow counts ranged from 1,900 hundred to 2,200. About 800 or so Owls lived in Cape Coral as one pair uses several burrows in raising their families. Burrowing Owls live about 9-13 years and are cute as the dickens. They ate frogs, tree frogs, lizards, anoles, insects etc.
I am fearful as to what impact Hurricane Ian had on them with 7-9 feet of storm surge. They typically start nesting in late January and early February with young owlets appearing in early April. My goodness, I hope that many escaped.

Beautiful bird with a terribly short life. I hope it nests for you!
my first encounter with owls here was 2014. Since then have had many up close encounters. Have been watching a barred owl pair online for years now that nest in a box in Indiana. So am hoping that this pair here will do the same They do seem at ease with us as I am out and about in the yard often and see 1 of them sitting in the oak tree or in the maple tree in the front yard , where they are watching the birds at the feeders . Thank you for all your info and HAPPY NEW YEAR

I am fearful as to what impact Hurricane Ian had on them with 7-9 feet of storm surge. They typically start nesting in late January and early February with young owlets appearing in early April. My goodness, I hope that many escaped.
Isn’t the Xmas bird count wrapping up? Might get some preliminary burrowing owl counts.

I haven't seen or heard any owls so far this winter, but I see many hawks and one magnificent Golden
Eagle. I wonder if the hawks are preying on the owls and/or driving them away. Anybody with insight
on this phenom?

The Great Horned Owl is a species that regularly has confrontations with different species of hawks. They also do not get along with Ravens and both species of crow, Common and Fish.
There is documentation of them raiding each other’s nests, stealing eggs and young.
I can assume that both Eagles do not care for large Owls either. The Great Gray Owl being a northern owl species likely has confrontations as well.

I have witnessed a Bald Eagle steal fish from Ospreys. I am assuming it is all about competition.

Like Angela, I wonder why also. I have seen red hawks and eagles here in my woods but have never seen an owl. Thank you for sharing the photos.
and also thank big923cattleya for some explanations, which I agree with!

have had barred owls here since 2014. and have had close encounters over these years. about a week ago, the pair were sitting on separate branches in the same tree as the owl house while a squirrel was in the owl house. go figure!

Love the photo!

Where i live in the city, we have a Cooper's Hawk that likes to hang out around our bird feeder.

The situation makes for some very interesting interactions with the smaller birds.

Have never witnessed an Owl though.

over the years (38) in our house. we have had a great horned owl. screech owl. and the barred owls. along with great blue heron. mallard ducks in the front yard. and Canadian geese who brought their babies. Hawks also. we are in a subdivision and have a creek at the end of the property. have had lots of interesting encounters with these guys

We have tawny owls nesting in the trees beyond our garden but I have never seen them in the nearly nine years we've been here. We hear them almost every day.

(I was told they were nesting by a much more experienced twitcher up the road due to the types of call they were making and times of year they were calling.)

eds, please explain "twitcher". I've never heard that term before and I like it! I assume it's a local name for
bird watcher. I'm always interested in the words used in English for specific things in particular areas. Vernacular
terms are so varied and wonderfully descriptive.

Back