Out of Season Micranthum & Ugly Golden Palace

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
My second micranthum to flower this year.
Not that nice, but exciting nonetheless!

It came into spike a few short months ago, and now in bloom.
The spike took a turn because I moved it around between window and artificial light. shouldn't have done that.

It already has a small stolon poking out the pot.
The plant is about 11 inch wide form end to end. It is one of the two largest micranthum plants I have. The other one is also in sheath, my third one to bloom if it makes it, but it doesn't look like it will bloom by the end of this year.

5Ns9q7Zl.jpg

HuWVkl4l.jpg

LrGlKwtl.jpg

This is Mem. Larry Heuer x armeniacum.
The flower is large at 14cm across, which is about the same as my Mem. Larry Heuer, but on a smallish plant like armeniacum.
The color is like Franz Glanz, pale yellow with darker yellow pouch.
Unfortunately, the bract is keeping the dorsal sepal from standing up all the way. Oh, well...
It is a small plant with a big flower, and with a new growth already well on its way, so I'm going to bloom this one more time.

bWbFaGGl.jpg

I've seen Golden Palace cropping up on Ebay lately and contemplated getting one. However, I was assuming most clones would be barely fragrant if at all, and I was thinking the Shun Fa Golden x armeniacum would probably be a superior version of it anyway due to hangianum's affinity to yellow and red pigmented patterns on the petals.

Of course a large flower on a small plant sounds fantastic. Do you suspect the color will fade a bit more or is there a chance the yellow will deepen over time? With emersonii in the background, it wouldn't surprise me if the petals and dorsal faded quite a bit, while the lip retains or even deepens it's color as the flower ages.

Regarding color change, yes, that's what I would expect.
No fragrance unfortunately.
One of my Franz Glanz has been in sheath for a while now.
My hope is not high. But then, again, who knows? :)
I actually was hoping this plant would bloom out nice so I could dump out all the FG. Not yet, I guess.

Wössner China Moon is almost entirely yellow from the ones I've seen.
Very minute amount of tiny spots near the center of flower is about it, although I have seen one with good amount of red on the petals also.

Speaking of WCM, mine that flowered in the spring is coming into spike again, and so is its sibling! Such a nice hybrid!! :)

I've seen Golden Palace cropping up on Ebay lately and contemplated getting one. However, I was assuming most clones would be barely fragrant if at all, and I was thinking the Shun Fa Golden x armeniacum would probably be a superior version of it anyway due to hangianum's affinity to yellow and red pigmented patterns on the petals.

Of course a large flower on a small plant sounds fantastic. Do you suspect the color will fade a bit more or is there a chance the yellow will deepen over time? With emersonii in the background, it wouldn't surprise me if the petals and dorsal faded quite a bit, while the lip retains or even deepens it's color as the flower ages.

Both are beautiful but I like the mirchan...congrats.

Latest posts

Back