Ostrich chicks

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score
Last week there were 7, now only 4. Ostriches are particularly bad parents, they raise only about 20% of the hatchlings each season. I anticipate only two to survive, but with each season the parents become more experienced, so who knows? The male is from Tanzanian 'red' bloodlines, and become quite large in comparison to the other more feral species and hybrids around.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

The chicks have learned to come and drink in the garden, a good thing, as their greatest mortality is at drinking spots, but at the house they are quite safe (I hope!)
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Nice to see them in a natural setting.. Here are some pics I took while touring a local ostrich farm. They are bred for meat..

Newly hatched:
DSC_00442_zps2fec4646.jpg

Adults:
DSC_0077_zpse74ae02e.jpg

DSC_0090_zpsff9656e1.jpg

Nice pics and interesting they are breaded here too,
it was a run some years ago, but at the moment it gets normal

Oh my, the youngun's are so cute and fluffy. I think I might be frightened
of an adult, but the chicks are precious. The chick at the water seems to
be giving you attitude. Is he flapping his little wings?

Oh my, the youngun's are so cute and fluffy. I think I might be frightened
of an adult, but the chicks are precious. The chick at the water seems to
be giving you attitude. Is he flapping his little wings?

They are a bit like bowling balls on cocktail sticks and over balance with ease. The chick is doing what all of us do when we struggle to stay upright, wave arms furiously about to maintain a heads up orientation.:p

By the way, these are genuine wild birds, not feral farm birds. They are much larger ( about 30%) and way more aggressive. I was only able to get reasonably close to the chicks by sneaking around the house out of sight of mom and dad. They are never around the house until the chicks hatch, then we see them feeding through the garden (bit of a euphemism) for a couple of months, then they are gone again. Almost as if they have learnt that there is less predator pressure around the house?

Very cool to see these. A few years ago, there was an Ostrich farm about a quarter kilometer away from me. I used to go and park my car on the side of the road and watch them in their enclosed pasture. Very cool birds!

Birds are almost unilaterally ugly when they are babies. But ostriches along with a lot of water fowl are cute!

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your posts, it's really cool to see life in other parts of the world.

Ah, he's trying to stay upright. I thought maybe he saw you sneaking
around and doing what mama told him about strangers! I love your
photos and always look forward to the next one.

I don't understand about ostrich farms. Are they for conservation of the
species?

Ah, he's trying to stay upright. I thought maybe he saw you sneaking
around and doing what mama told him about strangers! I love your
photos and always look forward to the next one.

I don't understand about ostrich farms. Are they for conservation of the
species?

No, for Clark's size 11 boots. The farms do nothing for conservation, as the birds which are raised are hybrids of various subspecies. The hybrid has been bred for lower hostility and quicker maturation (and in the old days when feathers were fashionable for improved plumage) Pure subspecies are difficult to find, as most game farms have a few feral farm birds to add interest, but they are not the same. As I said earlier these are of pure Tanzanian 'Red' bloodlines and are huge by comparison. They are about 30% bigger, but are slow to mature and very aggressive (not just the males)

interesting. yes, animals will quickly find an area that has less predators and hang out as much as they can. deer comes to mind immediately in this area, as well as that woodchuck which had burrowed under one outside wall downstairs of my apartment, and then burrowed underneath the concrete foundation with lots of tunnels. I kept chasing out using various methods but it would insist on coming back (because putting up with me doing various things was easier than dealing with dogs, fox and coyotes outside). finally had to trap and 'unofficially' haul to another spot

Are you telling me that the birds are raised to make accessories for people?

In North America, they're raised mostly for meat (which is lean, dark red and quite delicious). The accessories are a by-product. In Canada, there are quite a few ostrich and emu farms, but the meat never makes it to the mainstream supermarkets. Some specialty natural/organic food stores carry it, or you just have to go to the farm. We used to have a cottage near an emu farm, and for the entire 9 years we had that cottage, I don't think we bought a single beef steak or burger. We'd just stock up in November when we closed the cottage, and fill our freezer to last us till April.

Latest posts

Back