OSA Show 2009 Haul

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
So today was my first trip to the 2009 OSA show here in Edmonton, Canada. Ecuagenera wasn't there because they got held up at customs in Calgary :mad:, so I will have to go back to pick up the Selenipedium I pre-ordered. I also forgot my camera today, so I will take it with me next time (probably Sunday) and post pics of the show afterwards. Anyway, I picked up a few plants today; here are some shots of them:

Back row, left to right: Paph. Yi-Ying Golden Slipper (in bud), Dend. New Century 'Happiness' (in bloom), Cyp. reginae

Middle row, left to right: Paph. Wossner Vietnam Star, Paph. micranthum, Paph fairrieanum, Paph druryi

Front row, left to right: Leptotes bicolor (in bud), Dend. loddigesii 'ROC' AM/AOS (in bloom), Paph. emersonii, Paph. vietnamense, Paph. bellatulum (in sheath), Paph. (micranthum x jackii).

I also got a Cyp. Sabine seedling for free, which isn't pictured because it's not in leaf.

Some flower close-ups (I apologize for the low quality; these were quick shots before I went off to my gig):

Dend. New Century 'Happiness'

Dend. loddigesii 'ROC' AM/AOS

Wow, my old camera gets over the border easier than I do! :poke:
Sorry to hear about Ecuagenera missing part of the show, hopefully that means they'll have more stuff for the Longwood Gardens, PA. show. :evil:
THanx for sharing, it's mind boggling that you can buy cyps in pot at a show!!

Seems to be a perennial problem for Ecuagenera--I think every time I order plants from them, at least one doesn't make it. (Although I don't recall them actually missing a show in its entirety before.) What you got look great, though.

Hey guys, just to clarify, Ecuagenera didn't miss the entire show (it runs through the weekend); they are supposed to show up yet before it's over (or at least that's my understanding of it). However Eric, they aren't bringing Phrags, so yes I suppose they might have more of those for you!

I am happy to say that potted Cyps are becoming quite easy to find around here, even in February!

Except for another besseae and Hanne Popow maybe, no thanx. I saw the price on the phrag andreetae!!!!!! I spent an hour or 2 yesterday looking up all their Pleuro species though! :drool:

very good haul!!!! Nice druryi (mine looks a lot smaller and must have to wait a lot longer to bloom) and bellatulum!! And pretty dendrs; I like best the Dend. loddigesii! Jean

:clap: excellent haul there Joe! Excellent paph choices you made! Forestview had some neat paph seedlings.

I didn't pick up as much. Just a Paph Magic Lantern, Paph Ho Chi Minh and a Phal flask.

Awesome to hear Ecuagenera should be there. I did put a small order with Ecuagenera. I hope they do make it cause it would be an economical loss for them, and not their fault. I heard a guy from yellowknife (I'm assuming arcticshaun) was there looking for Ecuagenera later while I was getting a ride home. My ride hopes they will be there saturday for Shaun!

Phrag andreettae was $250 for a whole flask, since they were in flask he could have imported them.

Niya didn't have much as much paph selection as last year, but she did have Yellow Neofinetia falcata (obviously they were hybrids though of some sort, but that is rumor all over anyway). Her micranthums were huge but I haven't gotten past micranthum bud blast so I passed

:clap: excellent haul there Joe! Excellent paph choices you made! Forestview had some neat paph seedlings.

I didn't pick up as much. Just a Paph Magic Lantern, Paph Ho Chi Minh and a Phal flask.

Awesome to hear Ecuagenera should be there. I did put a small order with Ecuagenera. I hope they do make it cause it would be an economical loss for them, and not their fault. I heard a guy from yellowknife (I'm assuming arcticshaun) was there looking for Ecuagenera later while I was getting a ride home. My ride hopes they will be there saturday for Shaun!

Phrag andreettae was $250 for a whole flask, since they were in flask he could have imported them.

Niya didn't have much paph selection as last year, but she did have Yellow Neofinetia falcata (obviously they were hybrids though of some sort, but that is rumor all over anyway). Her micrathums were huge but I haven't gotten past micranthum bud blast so I passed

Hmmm... I love Phrag andreettae but I could never afford that much money.

Niya is who I got the micranthum from. I am always concerned about her Paphs because I can pretty much guarantee (but can't prove) they are wild-collected and often look kinda rough, but this was a robust plant and the roots turned out okay. This is now I think my sixth micranthum but you can't have too many!

yup,
her bellatulum died on me last year, with black rot :(. I think I will avoid her plants as much as I can, since probably your paramount's bellatulum would have lived. Also her compact dwarf phillipinense is half it size as I bought it. Blackish rot is an issue on her plants! Her plants are only tempting because they tend to be double or triple in size.

A flask would be too many andreettae for me, but if our society would order them as a group we can get one! I didn't bother thinking of ordering one this year since I'm headed on a summer vaccation. But I would order and share with the many society phrag growers otherwise, somehow. (probably an expert with flasks should keep it anyway lol...never deflasked a phrag before. phals are probably much easier)

yup,
her bellatulum died on me last year, with black rot :(. I think I will avoid her plants as much as I can, since probably your paramount's bellatulum would have lived. Also her compact dwarf phillipinense is half it size as I bought it. Blackish rot is an issue on her plants! Her plants are only tempting because they tend to be double or triple in size.

A flask would be too many andreettae for me, but if our society would order them as a group we can get one! I didn't bother thinking of ordering one this year since I'm headed on a summer vaccation. But I would order and share with the many society phrag growers otherwise, somehow. (probably an expert with flasks should keep it anyway lol...never deflasked a phrag before. phals are probably much easier)

I bought a thaianum from her in Calgary in October that died from rot too :mad:. I don't think I paid close enough attention that time to how well the plant was anchored in the pot; it had crap for roots too. The micranthum should do fine, fingers crossed. By the way, the bellatulum I bought from Paramount is gorgeous and is my second one from them. You can't go wrong with those guys!

That is a great idea, for the society to order an andreettae flask! I'm looking forward to the group orders we have lined up for this year.

The plants are in and will be at the show today. With phrag species.

There was a delay in Toronto while the boxes were inspected by customs before they were sent to Calgary to clear customs... Once they reached Calgary, things wen't fast. You really can't speed up those kinds of delays, and it didn't help that I was out of the country in Ecuador.

Ecuagenera is allowed to export phrag andreettea plants, but they aren't, they hardley have any adult plants left. So they are only exporting flasks.

If they get the plants in; if not maybe Kyle will have a few soon.

Please buy lots of plants, otherwise I might end up with a box in my basement. I don't have room for any more plants!

Kyle

Kyle, how much is Ecuagenera charging for handling fee these days?
Great to know they can export Phrag species! I can't wait for next month's sale in Vancouver, are you coming? :D

By the number of emails I've gotten in the last week, more then before. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. They used to charge $2 per plants for handling and paperwork. Now it seems to be more but I can't quite figure out the formula. I'll get to the bottom of it and report back in a new thread in the Ecuagenera section.

Latest posts

Back