Orchid Room

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin

Thanks for taking the time to show us your growing area. The plants are very healthy, but it looks like they want to burst out of that space. I suspect once the watering issue is resolved, they will take over the room.

I have a friend with a similar set up and she puts her trays into larger tubs. The entire tub is transported to a sink where the trays are watered. It is a hassle, but it keeps the floor dry.

I like the idea of putting drains into trays and catching the water in a bucket.

Mike

Justin- I have seen much larger/ sturdier tubs that would allow you to drain water as Cheyenne mentioned. (that is the best method I have seen/used) One place to check that many do not is at car part stores (AutoZone and such). They are often used for oil and things like that. They have some that would definitely work but since you are using a predesigned setup, it may take some hunting.

The less optimal way I deal with runoff, aside from dragging them all to the sink, is the old bucket technique/ not the cleanest, not the prettiest, but it works. The way I used it without moving the plants was doing something similar as mentioned, but I used 1/2" plastic valves for hydroponic setups. I fit them into the same 11 x 22" tubs you are using and then ran the 1/2" plastic tubing into the valves. This allowed me to take the drainage hoses off and not loose the residual water in the tubs. What I like is it is not permanent, it is cheap and relatively painless. You can also run the same tubing from tub to tub and then only drain the last one. I usually increased the HT of the tubs, one to the next and allowed gravity to push/ pull the water.

Thanks for all the feedback and watering ideas everyone!

Yes these shelves are just bursting at the seams. i am going to add a whole new lightstand stand later this year which will relieve some of the overpopulation. At that time i'll implement a better watering system as well.

When i was buying a lot of orchid flasks, i had envisioned an entire grow room, with HID lamps hanging from the ceiling and big tables full of plants. But i don't think that will ever happen so i will have to make due with lightstands until i build a greenhouse sometime in the next 10 years...

Last edited:
When i was buying a lot of orchid flasks, i had envisioned an entire grow room, with HID lamps hanging from the ceiling and big tables full of plants. Like a weed operation...

Yep. It's called 'my bedroom'!

Following up on Cheyenn and Chad's suggestion, if you need a custom or larger size tray, you can make one with plywood. Fish people frequently make giant aquarium (in which you can probably swim) from plywood, and they suggest several kinds of paint to waterproof it water. I went with one of the cheaper options, roofing paint from Walmart (I believe it's about $12 for a gallon). After waterproofing, I caulked it. I've been using it over a year, and it's been holding well. Mine is 2x3', and I wanted it to fit into a plexiglass enclosure I use for quarantine/acclimation.

Back