• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Orchid Nurseries in San Francisco Area

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slam

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm going to have a trip to San Francisco, CA to visit my grandmother by end of this week. I'll stay for about two weeks and planning if I could have a chance to visit some local orchid nurseries.

Can any of you recommend nurseries in San Francisco area that sell orchids (most importantly Paphs)?

Thanks in advance!

Stephen (from Hong Kong)

Is Dean still around. Last I heard he was opening an orchid business but haven't seen an Orchid Zone list in more than a year or more. Seems like when ever you talk to him he's about to publish a new list but it never seems to come about. He's always had great plants so I hope he gets back on track. Can anyone confirm or denie if Dean is still selling orchids? The site hasn't been updated in years.

Is Dean still around. Last I heard he was opening an orchid business but haven't seen an Orchid Zone list in more than a year or more. Seems like when ever you talk to him he's about to publish a new list but it never seems to come about. He's always had great plants so I hope he gets back on track. Can anyone confirm or denie if Dean is still selling orchids? The site hasn't been updated in years.
He had opened a greenhouse last year in SF...but i havent heard from him since he bought a listing from Nicks sellout...i am betting he is very busy with retail at the store/with shows and of course his genetics job

Lemme see . . .

Rod McLellan & Company gone,
Fordyce Orchids gone,
Orchids Orinda gone,
Tonkin's Orchids gone,
Bay Island Orchids gone.

There's not much left. I used to go to the San Francisco Flower Mart (6th and Brannan Streets) years ago. There were always several orchids vendors there. It's been ages though since I've been there.

Indeed plenty of great nurseries are gone.
As suggested, the flower market at 6th and Brannan has lots of beautiful plants but often not labelled as it is not geared for the hobbyist. But I enjoy it nonetheless. Great for pot plants. [lower case: pot] Latest Phals from Taiwan etc.
There are few possibilities.
All are by appointment only, I believe. A couple have weekend hours.
Check ahead.
--Golden Gate Orchids
--Hawkhill
--White Oak
--Hanging Gardens
I think that's pretty much it.
JC

Seems it's been a recession period for the orchid market everywhere... just the same situation as the global economy.
Anyway, thanks for all the recommendations.

If I were you, I'd contact the S.F. orchid society via their website and get some names and numbers. Those are the people with the accurate and current information.

Latest posts

Back