Only 5 paphs (so far)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h_mossy

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I acquired 2 Paph. rothschildianum (Green Valley x Dou Fang), 2 Paph. sanderianum, and 1 Paph Michael Koopowitz.

I'd love to find a Paph. dianthum, and a Paph. parishii. :poke:

Thant's not that difficult.

I am in Hawaii. Unless they are already here, bringing them into the state requires a phyto cert which can get pricey sometimes. They get inspected, and may get seized if the inspector isn't happy. Or they may stick them in quarantine for 30 days. So... finding may be as you say - not difficult, but that is only the first step.

Additions...

New additions to the menagerie:

2 Paph. Chiu Hua Dancer – only 10” tip to tip so they have some growing to do

4 Paph. Prince Edward of York – 22”, 21”, 17”, and 15”

2 Paph. Michael Koopowitz – both 19”

(damn things are addictive - still looking for species, though)

New arrivals. Not the ones I had hoped for, but I have lots of patience to acquire them eventually. In the meantime I can use these to learn hone my culture methodology.

3 Paph. Berenice - about 12 inches, 3 Paph. Chiu Hua Dancer x Paph. Johanna Burkhardt - about 9 inches - grex has not been named yet, 3 Paph. philippinense about 14 inches, 3 Paph. Temptation - about 14 inches, and 3 Paph. Umatilla - about 24 inches or more.

Most have multiple fans except for the Chiu Hua Dancer / Johanna Burkhardt cross.

I think I need less light, but thus far they don't seem too stressed.

I forgot to add the 'gift' plant - a 9inch Paph. Landmark.

That brings the group to 29 plants. I will endeavor to keep them alive, and perhaps one day something will bloom.

Looks like a great group of plants!
Thanks! I better stop now, though, since I'm only a 'noob', and still need to figure out what I'm doing.
Your collection is surely growing fast! :)
Yeah, I noticed that, too. Only a few were actually what I was trying to find, but this ought to give me enough for now. I need to get a grip on the culture before I end up killing a potentially really nice plant.

Dang things are addictive, but I need to rein it in until I get some to bloom. Until you get at least one blooming, you have no bragging rights, just a lot of potential. You guys take some really nice photos, I just hope that when I get the chance to do likewise that I can do the plant justice.

Well, that's the way, usually, fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it. lol

At least you seem to have all the plants that require similar conditions to do well. I've seen many people growing all kinds of paphs in the same growing area (both hobby people and vendors) with great results, so I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you have a generally greenthumb in other plants.

No rocket science.

I find it very frustrating sometimes that I don't have all space in the world to try soooooo many different varieties available out there.
Oh, well...gotta be selective and exercise control, I guess. not easy sometimes. lol

Good luck!

New additions: Paph. philippinense var roebelenii, and Paph. Lyro Blackhawk. Divisions of Paph. parishii, and Paph. dianthum may be in the offing soon, but the owner is checking to see if they are large enough to divide. I'm trading a Paph. Umatilla and a Paph. (Johanna Burkhardt x Paph. Chiu Hua Dancer) for the Paph. philippinense var roebelenii, so I'll need to reduce my numbers for those.

I've seen Paph. Lyro Blackhawk listed as Paph. St. Swithin x Paph. wilhelminiae, also as Paph. Saint Swithin x Paph. prasetans, and also as Paph. Saint Swithin x Paph. glanduliferum. Can anyone clear this up? Is Paph. wilhelminiae the same as Paph. glanduliferum or Paph. praestans? I know that sometimes taxonomists will change names, but I don't have much of a history with paph's so I wouldn't know if this is the case with this one.

No. Paph wilhelminiae is often sold as gardneri.

Any idea what the correct parentage is for Lyro Blackhawk?

By the way, since you are from Australia according to your location, have you seen any thelymitra's, and are there really some blue ones, or just purple-blue ones?

Any idea what the correct parentage is for Lyro Blackhawk?

By the way, since you are from Australia according to your location, have you seen any thelymitra's, and are there really some blue ones, or just purple-blue ones?

Lyro Blackhawk is St Swithin x praestans. Praestans can be very variable. Here is my yellow form that I posted today. But there are also darker forms. I guess you will have to flower it to see how yours will turn out.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43646

Yes, I have seen Thelymitra's where I am especially on the coast. Thelymitra ixiodies can be quite blue.

Lyro Blackhawk is St Swithin x praestans. Praestans can be very variable. Here is my yellow form that I posted today. But there are also darker forms. I guess you will have to flower it to see how yours will turn out.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43646

Yes, I have seen Thelymitra's where I am especially on the coast. Thelymitra ixiodies can be quite blue.
Your yellow is quite nice - I would be very pleased if it took on more of that sort of character, but as you said, I'll just have to wait and see.

I looked up that 'thely' and it does look blue. Some of those are amazing. Too warm here though.

New 'chids:
Paph. Kolosand 'Kate'
Paph. parishii 'Volcano Queen' (6 fans!)
Paph. dianthum 'Andrew'
2 Paph. stonei
Paph. sanderianum (in bud!!)

Earlier I posted Paph. Lyro Blackhawk. This one is tagged Paph. Lyro Blackhawk 'Kamakani #1' and the tag shows it is Paph. St. Swithin x Paph. wilhelminae

Last edited:
You might have a hard time blooming parishii and dianthum their habitats elevation is very high

They came from the Hilo side of the Big Island (Hawaii) where the elevation is only slightly above sea level and both had bloomed previously so I'm not too worried about that. Plus, I live on one of the highest points of Oahu, and your ears will pop at least once on the drive here. I would be more concerned that maybe they like cooler temps than I have. The Hilo area tends to be cooler from the tradewinds. We have them, too, but more limited.

Latest posts

Back