OI order Fri, M. Ooi order on Sat

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
I was expecting Sam's plants on Friday but Ben Ooi's order showed up on Saturday. I was surprised, thinking sometime this week.
OI, 3 of his sanderianum F3 crosses and a randsii. He sent a nice size seedling of Angel Hair as a gift.041ac7506e0ca5c44aabc3aed5914161.jpg

From Ooi I got 3 more ooii
cb8a992e4b9b1384a1db192ef0d3c6c7.jpg

3 stonei
ff71c542127946774e3acd59b8c7a0d3.jpg

And a single plant of niveum
05207b95ce2d6097e1faec04b6222a4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Nice, I see net pots. I haven't tried them with paph yet. I wonder if their roots will go through the net over time? and make repotting into larger plant difficult without cutting them ?

That is one of the unanswered questions I'm looking for Peter. I have only a couple of plants that the roots have reached the net wall. Neither have tried poking roots out.

3rd generation from a 'wild' plant.
wild x wild = F1
F1 x F1 = F2
F2 x F2 = F3
so maybe the wild, F1 and F2 plants were 'selected' for some interesting trait like flower colour, petal length etc.
This cross may be capable of producing something very interesting...

David

Good explanation David although I'm not sure of the details Sam used here BUT these two crosses are plants from an AQ crop he presented. With that said, the min cross # is F3. It could actually be higher if the original parents that made the AQ award were already from line breeding.

That is one of the unanswered questions I'm looking for Peter. I have only a couple of plants that the roots have reached the net wall. Neither have tried poking roots out.

I've been growing my Paphs in plastic net pots lined with green moss for 2-3 years. I've not seen any roots coming through, and the Paphs seem to be doing better than when they were in traditional or clear plastic pots.

That is quite a nice-looking plants, Rick. How do you find room for so many new ones?

Latest posts

Back