Now playing?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adiaphane said:
Zach--have you ever seen Yo la tengo live? They are so amazing! And I love their album titles, like, and then nothing turned itself inside out.

I haven't! I'd love to, though. I know several people that saw them (and Stephen Malkmus :smitten:) at the Central Park free 4th of July concert last summer.

Act of the Apostle, Pt. 1
Belle & (excuse me *and*) Sebastian

I was reading this site on Pompeii this afternoon (I'm developing a program on bread around the world and we have a breadmaker's ring/stamp from Pompeii @ the Museum) and one site I found with really good information was written from "the Christian perspective" and I kept seeing the word "Apostle" and "Acts..." and I've had this song in my head since, lol!!

they (B & S) are gonna be in town... wondering if i should spend money to see em... so... what's the music like?

oh gosh - I say definitely worth it but I am biased!
Last year they were in NYC w/ Beck and I couldn't go. Still kicking myself.

Umm, what are they like? Scottish, kinda melancholy subjects. Sometimes they remind me of Lou Reed/VU, The Partridge Family, or Donovan....I don't know. That's not a great description....I like them, you know I have exquisite taste ;) - you should just trust me!

at the moment.... the Subdudes "Papa Dukie and the mudpeople" Absolutely great and everyone needs to hear it.

hmm... I got duped!!!

I walked past the poster for the B & S concert and it was July..... 2004!!! GRRRR!!!

thought... well, I'm just gonna have to go and buy a CD I guess.... so, two stores later... and Nada! No CD... what gives??? I mean shucks we are surely not that backward...

Will this be my first online download? I just don't like not having the CD covers though... will definitely just have to keep looking around for a CD!

bench72--
I can send you a copy, just let me know which one you want.

Heather said:
Beulah....(who recommended them? Someone did, I think? I cannot recall but I like them, so if it was you, thanks!)

Then VU.
I was totally about to post about Beulah. Emma Blowgun's Last Stand = their best song, no doubt.

adiaphane said:
I can send you a copy, just let me know which one you want.

Tien, thanks for the offer... found out one of my friends has it and he's gonna lend me his CD...

apparently compared to Pet Shop Boys... well there's just no comparison :poke:

I thought this might be an appropriate place to post this -- I saw it first on the OGD. If you want to see the whole article, it's: http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/may222005/finearts1324262005520.asp -- this is the part that relates to music:

Plants alive with the sound of music
Researchers believe that plants thrive on melodious music, and shrivel and die with music that amounts to noise.

Everyday, orchids growing in ‘Flora Exotica,’ the orchidarium located on the India Carbon Limited (ICL) campus, listen to songs by Lata Mangeshkar, Jagjit Singh and Pankaj Udhas. ICL, producing petroleum coke in Guwahati, is spread over three hectares.

The orchid plantation area is dotted with sound boxes attached to a hi-fi music system of a 1,000 watts. Every morning (6:00 am to 9:00 am) and evening (3:00 pm to 5:00 pm), the sound system plays devotional songs, ghazals, religious chants and instrumental music for the orchids. “Orchids, like other plants, like music. Music is essential to their growth. The vibration in it helps in the growth of buds,” says Dr K N Bhagawati, former head of plant pathology at Assam Agricultural University. Bhagawati has been associated with ICL for 12 years now.

Music was introduced in the orchidarium in 1997. Research indicates that plants thrive if soothing music is played in the background. However, they shrivel and die if exposed to loud music.

Almost 30 years ago, a woman teaching at Colorado University conducted experiments on plants and concluded that they thrive on classical music- particularly the sitar. Recently, a Japanese company created a gadget, ‘Plantone,’ that gauges the electrical activity in plants. It registers a plant’s response to music.

‘Flora Exotica’ is the first floriculture unit, in the northeast, established for the cultivation and propagation of the finest and most suitable varieties of orchids, especially hybrid orchids. It has 1,00,000 individual orchid plants. The market value of a mature flowering plant ranges from Rs 1,000-1,500.

I read this the other day. I hope it helps. I have to say I am conscious of not playing certain music too loud so as to not disturb the plants.
Yes, I really think this way.

kentuckiense said:
I was totally about to post about Beulah. Emma Blowgun's Last Stand = their best song, no doubt.
Anything with a tabla in it is okay in my book.

Latest posts

Back