NOID Paph

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fbrem

Got this from a greenhouse whose contents were donated to the University of Memphis. Didn't have a tag but after doing some poking around I think I have a good idea of what it is, and I think it's a primary. The only info I could get is that it has been in the greenhouse for well over 15 years. We'll play a guessing game and see if others come up with the same cross or not.

DSCF6930.jpg

DSCF6932.jpg

Forrest

I'm gonna SWAG it and guess that it's Paph. ciliolare x glaucophyllum. Am I even close?

It seems like a glaucophyllum hybrid!! No clue about the other parent! Maybe primulinum (the pouch)?? Nicely grown plant!!! I also like the green background of a banana(??) / canna (??) leaf!!

I'm ruling out glauco x prim = Pinocchio & that it ain't!
My guesses would be Roseville (glauco x acmodontum) or
Wood Dove ( glauco x ciliolare).

Paph. Wood Dove was my guess too. That was the only cochlo x stigmato that I could find registered.

Forrest

Paph. Wood Dove was my guess too. That was the only cochlo x stigmato that I could find registered. Forrest
The other possibilities are Curtophyllum (g x curtissi) 1912, Memoria Rolf Bolin (g x superbiens)1974. Roseville was registered 1976, Wood Dove 1980 James Fisher 1974.
Roy - did you have a Mem. Rolf Bolin (or is it Bolen)?

To be honest, that looks "similar" to "almost any" Cochlopetalum hybrid...:poke:

Slipperfan, if you compare both flowers, the staminode is different, as well as the dorsal and the spots & hairs on the petals...

To be honest, that looks "similar" to "almost any" Cochlopetalum hybrid...:poke:

Slipperfan, if you compare both flowers, the staminode is different, as well as the dorsal and the spots & hairs on the petals...
Yes, I see lots of differences. Sometimes, though, it's hard to tell if the differences are just variations based on parentage, or a truly different hybrid. IMHO, it should just stay a NOID.

The other possibilities are Curtophyllum (g x curtissi) 1912, Memoria Rolf Bolin (g x superbiens)1974. Roseville was registered 1976, Wood Dove 1980 James Fisher 1974.
Roy - did you have a Mem. Rolf Bolin (or is it Bolen)?

Rose, I have Mem. Rolf Bolin, haven't flowered them yet but the plant in question could well be one. I had forgotten about them.

"Anything else is 'just guessing' and will never be certain."

"IMHO, it should just stay a NOID."

I know that once a NOID always a NOID no matter what. I'm not trying to tag the plant and show or breed with it, I just thought it might be a fun game to play. Next time i'll be more clear that I'm not searching for a definite ID.

Forrest

"Anything else is 'just guessing' and will never be certain."

"IMHO, it should just stay a NOID."

I know that once a NOID always a NOID no matter what. I'm not trying to tag the plant and show or breed with it, I just thought it might be a fun game to play. Next time i'll be more clear that I'm not searching for a definite ID.

Forrest

:clap: It was fun, even though at first I thought you were searching for an ID! I found myself paying more attention to when the crosses were registered, we need to start an "antique" thread!

Back