No car here any more

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of our older orchid club members also has a greenhouse constructed in the basement of his new house. Up near the adirondacks, their climate is like sweden pretty cold. By using a preformed greenhouse structure, you don't have to use nails/screws or damage/alter the walls of the garage or basement, and if you do end up having space outdoors when removed it can be used again. It does a better job of keeping in the moisture, which could be bad if you have any wood or any porous surfaces in the basement/garage. Easier to put together a greenhouse from a kit, as long as the directions aren't in Mandarin (unless you speak it), than lining the whole inner surface of a room especially more so if it is a large room. Of course, you could hang pipes from the ceiling to drape clear plastic from, taped together that would hold in moisture and heat, but not look as cool or be as sturdy as mounting things on the walls/ceilings of the greenhouse (like fan tubes or exhaust vents)

Goooosh - finished - but will improve it during winter. As you can see I have room for mor slippers:rollhappy:

klart1.jpg

klart2.jpg

klart3.jpg

klart4.jpg

Wonderful!!!!! Nice arrangement for a start, but there is alot of space available!!! Fill it wiselly...:) And look that long Phrag spike!!!:)

Im a basement grower too...what is the footcandles of those lights? I have two 400 watt bulbs...just wondering whatcha got going on.

From my experience you'll come to loath watering into the bucket, having to move each plant. I gave up on that years ago. I hooked up a hose to the sink upstairs, and now I water straight onto the cement floor then give a vacuum with the wet/dry vac. The 2 x 4s that are the base of the frame I staple the plastic to hold most of the water inside if I give a quick vacuum in between to make sure there is not an excess of water on the floor.

That said, everyone does it differently and hopefully has moderate luck. No doubt you'll tweek it as you progess, but youll have fun doing it!!! Good luck! Grow 'em big.

First report - I set the control on 75% humidity the first day - a misstake.
Next morning 93% - and wet, wet,wet. The floor was covered with water.

I stopped the humidifier and putted in an extra fan blowing on the floor.
Now after 2 days its 65% during day and about 85% during night.

The floor is still a bit wet and it will probably take some days before it dries.
Temperature is today 25 dec C when the sun has been shining the whole day.

I expect up to 30 deg Max in summer during the hottest period.

Today I took down 3 laelias and placed them very bright.

laelia.jpg

Then I got the idea of putting up another net which was tricky without taking out the plants. Now I will have good space for those that need a lot of light:rollhappy:

laelia2.jpg

My neewest plant bought from Magicboy seem to like the environment.
It has already started to grow after the shipment and replanting.:)

phrag-andre.jpg

Latest posts

Back