New to Propagation

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goods

Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing this for a little while, and I think I'll finally have the time to start it up in the next few weeks, but I have a few questions to get started. I've done a small amount of flasking work in a lab under a HEPA filter, but I'll be trying to do all this at home.

I have a pressure cooker, so I can use that in place of an autoclave. I was thinking of making a glove box. Can I use a clear rubbermaid tote style container with holes cut into the side and elbow length gloves taped onto it?

Also, I think baby food jars would work as my flasks and should be fairly easy to find.

Do you use the commercial media or make your own?

Also, what's the best method for sterilizing seed that you've found?

I've been through many sites doing all the research I can, and I plan to watch the youtube videos. Sorry for all the questions, but I think that's it for now.

Thanks in advance for any answers, and any other pointers are also welcome!

A quick reply...

Yes a glove box with rubber gloves taped to it will work. Sterilize the inside real good!

Use pre-made media. P6668 with things like coconut, banana and the like

10% bleach for seeds. Soak for 24 hours in a sugar solution. Green pod when possible. I have real good success with dry phrag seeds.

Kyle

Thanks Kyle!

I was either going to spray down the while inside with a bleach solution or isopropyl alcohol.

Also, can I use the tops for the baby food jars or will there be an issue with the sealing after sterilization? I just checked, and phytotech is sold out of phytocaps.

You can use the normal tops. I don't vent. There is a debate over venting vs not venting. I replate often.

Seal your lids with saran wrap. Take a tube of saran wrap and use a hack saw to cut into 1.5 inch rolls. Use soapy water as a lubercant for the hacksaw blade.

Sorry for the quick answers. I don't have lots of time to respond, but wnat to help and for you to know the little tricks.

Kyle

Thank you Kyle. I totally understand your time constraints. I really appreciate all the help you've given me so far.

I really like the saran wrap idea. Didn't think of that one!

Latest posts

Back