New member...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physiognomy

Reaction score
Hi, I've been lurking here for a little while & decided I better jump on board...

My name is Peter & I have been growing orchids since I was in my teens. It started with my Grandfather, who was a Cymbidium grower, giving me an orange reed-stemmed Epidendrum. I was hooked before I knew it & initially became very interested in Australian native orchids. I grew just about everything I could get my hands on - Dendrobium, Dockrillia, Sarcochilus, Bulbophyllum, terrestrials, etc... I had no idea what I was getting myself into & have not gone more than a few weeks since then without an orchid collection.

The many new friends I met at society meetings were enablers :D & I soaked up their knowledge at every opportunity. At that time, I was generally the 'young kid' at meetings and I think this definitely helped. Through this venue, I quickly gained a great appreciation for the orchid community. People's passion for orchids and generosity with their knowledge & plants left a lasting impression. Grad school and life in general got in the way over the last few years, but I intend on joining my local society this month and giving back where I can.

One of the first plants I was gifted was a vinicolor Maudie type Paph. hybrid (pictured below) & that lead to my love of slippers. Throughout the years, I've generally grown a few hybrids, but my main interest has always been species orchids. I have had quite a few in my collection, but like I mentioned, life got in the way & I am currently rebuilding my slipper collection.

Anyway, I just wanted to say a quick(ish) hello & mention that I look forward to being a member of the site. Thanks for having me!

6204077016_e5b81b85ca.jpg
6204077026_7bbc9a39d8.jpg
6204077032_019c093365.jpg
6204077040_38a84e7518.jpg

Hi and welcome to the club. As likespaphs allready asked, which part of earth do you call home. :p

Welcome, Peter! Good to have you here!

What is the slipper on the lower right corner? I like the color, and especially the petals.

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome... I'm looking forward to participating here.

... What is the slipper on the lower right corner? I like the color, and especially the petals.

This was my first blooming of Paph. Glaucopar. Please excuse the dust on my scanner.

6204077040_38a84e7518.jpg

Hi and welcome to ST from Adelaide... :D

Do you go to the OCSA meetings? It has been a long time, but I still recognize a few names in the Bulletin. Some good friends & knowledgeable orchid growers/judges.

:clap: WELCOME Peter! Like your taste! I can't imagine what it would be like if I had gotten involved in orchids at your young age! Enjoy the journey!

Back