new growth that stunts

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoserenus

the beauty of nature
Reaction score
hey guys

i've encountered this phenomenon a couple of times in my phrags especially. when i bought some of my phrags a year or so ago, they would have one or two new leads that were about 2" tall (mature growth is about 20"). but the issue is they would just stop growing dead in its track, literally... for one phrag, it just gave up completely and grew a brand new one from scratch, and for another, there were 2 new growths, but one grew and the other didn't, and now the little one is yellowing up along with the original older mature growth.

could someone possibly give me a pointer or two as to why this could be happening?

and also, if the old growth with the 'stunned' growth is yellowing leaving the 'growing' growth, should that be of any concern or is it ok since i still have one lush growth?

thanks

I'm not sure, either. I had that happen to my P. besseae last year. One growth stopped at about 2" and dried up, while the other one went on to grow beautifully. I'll be glad to hear comments as well. :)

No concern here. This is normal to have especially on one single mature growth that has or is in the process of blooming. It's thought to be a survival mechanism when the growth hormines kick in, two eyes will break from the base of the plant. Sometimes both will continue to grow, other times one will dominant over the other.

.. and for another, there were 2 new growths, but one grew and the other didn't, and now the little one is yellowing up along with the original older mature growth.
I don't have that problem a lot; either they grow or they die! :p
Actually if you're top watering stop that and try watering in the tray or saucer under the pot; also water a little more.

I've had something similar happen w/ Paphs a couple times. Even if the start-NBS growth doesn't seem to have anything in particular wrong w/ it, it just seems to have taken offense to something, and it stops right where it's at, but a new growth starts right up not long after and grows and flowers as usual. This just happened to the Henrietta Fujiwara I posted: it's 1st bloom last year was on a 1 BS + 1 NBS growth plant, and a few months after blooming the NBS growth quit and a new one started. It grew fast enough though that the plant bloomed again this year at the same time it did last year! This sort of thing has been sporadic for me though - if you've all of a sudden got numerous plants w/ growths stalling, then maybe it's something more to worry about.

I've had this happen with both types of slippers. I didn't change anything & the new growth was fine. I just assumed it happens from time to time, whatever the reason!

Latest posts

Back