New Additions

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W. Beetus

Reaction score
I took the first of my two trips a year to see Tom at Fox Valley, and brought home a few new Paphs and two Phrags (!). We will see how these Phrags do for me...

And I will apologize in advance about the absence of any pictures from FV. I forgot to take pictures. :mad:

Clockwise from the left: Paph. Al Hill, Paph. (micranthum x Mem. Larry Heuer), Phrag. Wanakee Sunset (with besseae flavum, free plant from Tom :)), and Phrag. (Jerry Dean Fischer x besseae).

IMG_5283.jpg

Nice parvis! I just picked up those 2 phrags [yes plus some more :p]from Tom. :D

I like the colors of the besseae phrag hybrids, but have had no luck in growing/blooming them. The Jerry Dean Fischer hybrid is very vigorous looking and has a nice root system, so I think it should do well.

Nice pick ups Nick. I'd like to see the Al Hill

Tom had one in bloom, but I didn't get a picture of it... I expect mine to bloom next season. Out of the parvi's, the micranthum hybrids are my favorites.

Those 2 are babies. good luck. are you growing them w/ wet feet?

I have never done that. Would you recommend growing them that way?
EDIT: I have actually never grown any besseae hybrids. Just a mature besseae that I killed back in the beginning. I do have a Bright Spot 4N that seems to be doing well though, and I think it is going to bloom soon. I was told to not necessarily to grow that one with wet feet.

Hi Nick,

Enjoyed your visit! Here's a photo of the Paph. Al Hill you saw in bloom Saturday. Also, you should be able to grow most Phrags w the pots sitting in a shallow pan of rain water/RO water or distilled water. Many of our customers who are out of town most of the week grow them this way. I wouldn't necessarily try this with the long petalled Phrag species, though - those, we like to grow more like Paphs than Phrags by letting them become almost dry between waterings.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back