Neofinetia falcata 'Shukyuden'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Barry

Reaction score
Here's a Neofinetia falcata type Shukyuden'

Looks like a Neofinetia from Bizarro World. A bunch of floral segments scrambled and reassembled at random.

neoShukyuden2.jpg

Here's another bloom, possibly not fully open, though it's hard to be sure.

neoShukyuden1.jpg

No fragrance detectable, so it'll just have to get by on it's good looks.

Regards,
Rick

Even though i'm an avid Neo lover, i just can't seem to get myself to like these flower forms. A bit too bizarro!
Peter T.

No fragrance detectable, so it'll just have to get by on it's good looks.

Interesting yours has no scent Rick. All of my fuukiran have a strong odor, some more sweet while others are more perfume smelling - this one tends toward the perfume end. Taken one by one the flowers are odd, but I think they are lovely as a group.

Interesting yours has no scent Rick. All of my fuukiran have a strong odor, some more sweet while others are more perfume smelling - this one tends toward the perfume end. Taken one by one the flowers are odd, but I think they are lovely as a group.

I stand corrected. After removing the bits of bark and perlite from my nostrils, and sampling the plant in the night-time hours, it does indeed have some fragrance to it. Thanks to KyushuCalanthe (who clearly has considerable expertise on the subject) for seeing the error of my ways.

Mea culpa

Rick

Thanks to KyushuCalanthe (who clearly has considerable expertise on the subject) for seeing the error of my ways.

Hardy the truth Rick. Prior to coming to Japan I had no experience with fuukiran (or any other Japanese orchid) and only a little with Neofinetia falcata - just one plant that I eventually managed to kill. So, in total I have been growing fuukiran for only about 5 years now. Today I'm visiting a local nursery and no doubt my wallet will be a bit thinner on the return home!

Tom

Back