Neofinetia falcata 'Oonami Seikai' blooming sequence

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaljala

Reaction score
After the Tougen (see other thread), here is the Oonami Seikai, very different plant, different bloom...

More photos to come... stay tuned

July 23rd : sorry bad quality, very strong crop from a general picture
the spike is not yet growing, we can just see the little nub (on the left) that will turn into the spike. The nub on the right is still not growing as of August 12th...)

IMG_26314 by Jaljala photography, on Flickr

July 31st : the spike start its journey upward

IMG_26485 by Jaljala photography, on Flickr

August 4th : the 3 buds are visible

IMG_26620 by Jaljala photography, on Flickr

August 5th: the spur is starting to grow

IMG_26726 by Jaljala photography, on Flickr

August 8th : the buds are well developped

IMG_27040 by Jaljala photography, on Flickr

August 9th: spur growing

IMG_27107 by Jaljala photography, on Flickr

August 10th: the stems are still growing, the spurs are elongating

IMG_27155 by Jaljala photography, on Flickr

August 11th:

IMG_27175 by Jaljala photography, on Flickr

Stay tuned for more pictures...

Last edited:
Very nice...in fact it's awesome! I love the tsuke, the leaf form and the growth habits of this particular variety. I look forward to seeing more of your progression photos as you post them. :)

the second nub (on the right) still did not make a move, spike or fan ???

I'd put all my money on it being a spike. It might still develop sometime this year. It might wait 'til next year. It might just turn brown and do nothing (this occasionally happens when a plant gets a new home).

Great photos! Keep sharing. :clap: (and thank you!!!)

These Oonami Seikai plants become really awesome and impressive as they mature. Give it a few years and it will be a breathtaking plant in or out of bloom! :clap:

I can't imagine a specimen plant of this !!! 50 or 100 growth :drool:
See you in 50 years :D:p

In the mean time, here is the pic for today August 16th (yesterday it was really not doing much or maybe I was lazy :evil:, no picture...). We are getting close...

And to change a bit, a view from the other side to see the tsuke better, I love it !

Yeah, and at least it isn't a seedling - man, you have to be patient in ways that will drive you up a wall for them to even get to flowering size!

:rollhappy: So true! It's really worth it to not only purchase some babies but to also buy some bigger plants. Instant gratification isn't so bad after all. :clap: :wink:

I can't imagine a specimen plant of this !!! 50 or 100 growth :drool:
See you in 50 years :D:p

Not great flowering on this specimen, but here's one I saw in a show in July. This form really likes to clump, but do realize a plant this size took some time to grow that big.

Ounamiseikai.jpg

Yeah, and at least it isn't a seedling - man, you have to be patient in ways that will drive you up a wall for them to even get to flowering size!

But this is a real achievement !!! (but it is best to have a big specimen to enjoy while the seedlings are growing :D

That's a huge plant ! Thanks for sharing :clap:

Back