Neocogniauxia monophylla

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
A mini, this twig epiphyte has bloomed regularly for me grown cooler with good light, misted heavily once daily. It's starting to grow up, and this year I was blessed with three spikes for the first time. You can spot this one a block away thanks to the fluorescent orange of the almost 1.5" wide flowers. Once thought to be closely related to the laelias, recent research 'suggests' this is instead more closely allied to the pleurothallids. Morphologically, it looks like laeliinae. I have both species of this caribbean genus and am hopeful the other, hexaptera, will be blooming size by next spring. The plant growths top out at about 5" minus the inflorescences; the mount is 8.5" tall.

Attachments

• neocogmonophylla0811.jpg
    neocogmonophylla0811.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 22
  • monophyllafull0811.jpg
    monophyllafull0811.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 50
A mini, this twig epiphyte has bloomed regularly for me grown cooler with good light, misted heavily once daily. It's starting to grow up, and this year I was blessed with three spikes for the first time. You can spot this one a block away thanks to the fluorescent orange of the almost 1.5" wide flowers. Once thought to be closely related to the laelias, recent research 'suggests' this is instead more closely allied to the pleurothallids. Morphologically, it looks like laeliinae. I have both species of this caribbean genus and am hopeful the other, hexaptera, will be blooming size by next spring. The plant growths top out at about 5" minus the inflorescences; the mount is 8.5" tall.
Yes, everyone has wondered why the thing would not hybridize with any plants of the Cattleya/Laelia group (and so did I). We all overlooked that its vegetative habit is that of a pleurothalloid and that it occurs in areas where there are no Cattleyas or Laelias. Admittedly, it is one of the positive "discoveries" the molecular mafaia has made, but on secund thought, we should have realized it just by observing the plant instead of letting us be blinded by the opinion of John Lindley who "made" it a Laelia. By the way, it was originally described as a pleurothalloid. And it was Schlechter who recognised it as being different from Laelia and who put it into Neocogniauxia. I'd live to have some good pictures of the critter ans also some good pictures of the hexaptera. I first saw it in 1981 in the "Fairy Glades", above Newcastle Jamaica .... and It should have made "click" in my mind.

Hi Tenman

Where did you get your plants of both species? I really want to get plants or seed of these species, but it seems so hard to find.

Thats a great plant you have. Very nice. Do you plan to propagate it?

Brett

Hi Tenman

Where did you get your plants of both species? I really want to get plants or seed of these species, but it seems so hard to find.

Thats a great plant you have. Very nice. Do you plan to propagate it?

Brett

The monophylla I got from a vendor whi had one plant. The hexaptera was from a private grower who divided their small plant for me. Both in the US, I'm afraid won't do you much good.

No, I haven't made any attempt to propagate it yet...it's still rather small and seems a delicate plant.

Hi Tenman

Thanks for the reply.. Fair enough to wait for your plant to grow strong. I did manage to get some seed or monophylla, but no germination yet.

WEll Eric, you know as well as I, that countries like Thailand are someone lax about imports.. thats why we have so many species here hahha. In truth CITES is a very weak deterent when governments pay much lip service to it, and allow trade as long as it does not interfer with image (a very Thai style).

WEll Eric, you know as well as I, that countries like Thailand are someone lax about imports.. thats why we have so many species here hahha. In truth CITES is a very weak deterent when governments pay much lip service to it, and allow trade as long as it does not interfer with image (a very Thai style).
What image is the Gov't trying to present? Thank goodness there is a lax element to Thai orchid restrictions, otherwise I would not have so many plants!

A bit of good news, I managed to get 10 seedlings in a flask from a friend in the USA. He may offer some up for sale in the future.

Brett

Latest posts

Back