neo. benisizume

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This photo just made my day a bit better. I don't have the
proper conditions to grow Neos, but I sure do love seeing
pics of other people's blooms. They're so pretty.

Having never been a huge neo fan, but owning quite a few neo x other vandaceous crosses, I have to ask: are these truly varieties of Neo. falcata, or are they actually hybrids?

Having never been a huge neo fan, but owning quite a few neo x other vandaceous crosses, I have to ask: are these truly varieties of Neo. falcata, or are they actually hybrids?

Ray - that is a very good question. a question for which I don't have a very good answer but rather a topical response.

This particular plant could very well be a hybrid but I can't confirm because I do not know its genealogy. However, one thing I noticed is that neos that seem to be true neos typically have the same fragrance. A strong vanilla mixed with light citrusy pez fragrance. Even the funky ones like shunkyuden and kochou no Mai are very similar in fragrance.

Neos that are yellow or have a good majority of yellow in the parentage do not have this vanilla pez fragrance. The yubae and kisuzume I've bloomed do not have the typical neo fragrance.

Although I will caveate that this doesn't preclude the possibility of the neos being line bred to make sure they get close to this vanilla pez fragrance.

Maybe others can chime in on their thoughts/experience as well.

Whatever the case may be I love these little guys.

I can't say definitively for Benisuzume, but large numbers of the "named varieties" of Neos are in fact the pure species. Pink/purplish varieties do occur naturally.

These plants morph frequently.

Bean leaf varieties often arise from selfings of various pure species varieties.

Nishidemiyako is well known for its ability to produce offshoots of at least thirteen different varieties, and Kokubotan is well known for its ability to morp itself into at least 11 different varieties.

With colored flowers, I also become careful and check the background, too.

According to a Japanese book, Benisuzume is a pure species. According to another book, it is via selfing of Jinryuukou (I'm not completely sure about the pronunciation, but in Chinese character: 神龍紅) which was originated from Hiroshima Prefecture.

As Mark said, there are many pink ones which is pure species. Many of them are from south (e.g. Kochi, Wakayama Prefectures). By looking at data I found in Japanese web sites, the followings are pink flower varieties from these two regions.

Kochi: Benisudare, Koukakuden, Shitennou, Shoujyou, Shoujyou-no-mai, Shutennou, Tougen, Toukou, Tosa-shinkou

Wakayama: Anchin, Benitengu, Kouki,

There are a couple other pink ones from other Shikoku region and Chiba prefecture.

Thanks for the input!

I was watching a video by Jason Fischer and he was referring to Neo. benisizume as pure species as well.

I think only very very dark purple ones and definitely yellow ones are of hybrid origins.

Naoki- What does Japanese website say about green flowered variety??

Just checked my plant - over 20 spikes this year, but the flower count per is not great. Hope it puts on a good display.

HP, 'Hisui' is from Kochi Prefecture in Shikoku. As far as I know, it is a naturally occurring form. It is said that the original divisions went for up to $3,000 each! Then they found it was true from seed, though there is variation in the depth of the color.

Just checked my plant - over 20 spikes this year, but the flower count per is not great. Hope it puts on a good display.

HP, 'Hisui' is from Kochi Prefecture in Shikoku. As far as I know, it is a naturally occurring form. It is said that the original divisions went for up to $3,000 each! Then they found it was true from seed, though there is variation in the depth of the color.

Thank you for the confirmation!
I always thought the plant was rather different, but I guess that's part of the variation as well.

Please show off your over 20 spike benisuzume! :)

;HP, as Tom said, my book mentions that Hisui was sensational when it was registered in 1989. Starting from Tougen registered in 1960, Shunkyuuden, Shoujou, Shutennou were registered from Kochi, and these were the beginning of Hana-mono (flower varieties). So even though flower varieties are more popular in the US, it seems to be a relatively new field (compared to leaf varieties). These info are from this book. I don't have in-depth knowledge (in contrast to Tom's), so I'm just translating the book! ;)

The book mentions 2 additional green varieties: Hijiri and Kishuu-Ryokufuu both from Wakayama Prefecture.

For the yellow (or it should be more of cream color), the book mentions Kouunkaku from Kagoshima and Ooyashima (derived from Kokkouden, whose origin is not known).

Latest posts

Back