Need a name for this bug...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suss16

Reaction score
My wife called it "squish" - really did not what to know why...

bug.jpg

What is it?

TIA

Tony

Looks like a member of the grasshopper family... I'll bet it's appetite is voracious.

http://www.isledegrande.com/naturepage04-v2.htm
Katydids, grasshoppers and crickets are all in the same insect family. However, Katydids are more closely related to crickets. Their antennae are often two to three times the length of their bodies. They often blend into their surrounding very well and are almost exclusively crepuscular (active from dusk to dawn) to further avoid predation.

Last edited:
Another vote for immature katydid, sort of a cricket that lives in trees rather than on the ground. I don't think this kind usually causes much damage, though soft leaves or flowers might be in danger.

Thanks folks... I can rest easy now... and there is a pane of glass between this little munch monster and my orchids.

Plus this is my 100th post and I hope I graduate from "Flasking" to something a little more advanced.

I hate to tell you, but if it is a katydid, I have to watch my outdoor orchids closely because the katys love to chew on the leaves.

Latest posts

Back