native orchids, colorful insects and lupines!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this was a trip ken hull and I made to new england to try and find the very rare isotria medeoloides in flower. we went to the area and found a few plants, but none with flowers or buds. the plants were tiny, and we were told that's how tall they get! they are called the 'lesser whorled pogonia', and it's true. the larger or greater whorled pogonia is both more colorful and much taller. there were tiny black specks where flower buds would develop, so it's possible that there were buds thinking about developing but all the rain aborted the buds. the plants were in a very rich spot in amongst cinnamon ferns. all around in drier areas were small, seedling-size isotria verticillata, not in flower

pogonia611a.JPG

one of the lesser whorled pogonia 'seedlings'

pogonia611b.JPG

another nearby seedling, this one a greater whorled pogonia

on the way back to the car, I spotted a black swallowtail butterfly and went off in pursuit. it was very cooperative and sat on several flowers not far away, allowing me to get a few nice pictures

hill611a.JPG

hill611b.JPG

hill611c.JPG

a bit further down the trail we saw this very colorful insect hanging around (and moving about very quickly) in the sunny, sandy areas of the trail

on the drive back towards binghamton, we noticed something unusual in a distant field from the road. ken asked if it was worth heading over to check it out, to which I replied 'what could it hurt?!' imagine our surprise when we discovered that there was a ditch and field filled with multi-colored lupines! I had never seen this many differently colored lupines before much less filling a whole field so we had to take many pictures of them. they were in prime bloom and the day was perfect, so....

lupines611a.JPG

ken hull happily taking a pic of the lupines

lupines611b.JPG

lupines611c.JPG

lupines611d.JPG

lupines611e.JPG

ken and charles in the field of dreams

kenlupine611.JPG

charleslupine611.JPG

the next day I went to a group orchid club picnic at piping rock orchids. the day ended early enough so I decided to check out the nearby spot where ken and I had been directed to search for putty root in new york state. we had found nine or so plants last year, but none had flowered then. I thought it was a bit early for this species in upstate ny, but figured that I would easily be able to tell if it was going to flower this year and when. was quite surprised to find that there were three flowering stems, but that the tops of the flower spikes were all brown and twisted, and the flowers that had survived to flower had already gone to seed! (hmph) :confused: so much for my timing skills. I took a few pics anyhow as these are the first flowering putty root orchids that we have seen in new york state

nyputty611a.JPG

nyputty611b.JPG

nyputty611c.JPG

nyputty611d.JPG

Last edited:
thanks! Jean, I was surprised that there were very few insects around the lupines. I think there may have been a few here or there, but nothing trying to pollinate them. I didn't see any moths or butterflies flying around the flowers at all.

by the way, I forgot to upload one of the nice lupine pictures, ....

lupines611f.JPG

Latest posts

Back