National Capital Orchid Show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(For more detailed info, see: www.ncos.us/ncos/fallshow.htm)

65TH ANNUAL ORCHID SHOW
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 6TH THROUGH MONDAY, OCTOBER 8TH, 2012
U. S. NATIONAL ARBORETUM
24TH AND R STREETS, NE, WASHINGTON DC

On Columbus Day weekend, The National Capital Orchid Society will present its 65th annual Orchid Show at the U.S. National Arboretum- "Orchid Jubilee: Celebrating 65 Years" FREE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC! Plan to visit, bring friends, see thousands of unique orchid plants in bloom, partake in our educational lectures, meet our 'Orchid Doctor' to help answer questions, visit our Sales Tent with top-quality vendors for plant and supply sales, unique orchid-themed gifts, and MUCH MORE! Fall is one of the best blooming seasons for orchids in DC, so come prepared for a wonderful selection of orchids to see and buy!

Show Schedule
(Saturday, October 6th through Monday, October 8th)

Saturday 8:30-9 am Sales tent open for NCOS members only
9 am - 5:00 pm Sales tent open to the public
10 am - 5:00 pm Exhibit open to the public
Sunday 10 am - 5 pm Exhibit and sales tent open to the public
Monday 10 am - 3 pm Exhibit and sales tent open to the public

Show Vendors

Plants and/or orchid supplies will be sold by Arbec Orchids, Fishing Creek Orchids, Floradise, J&L Orchids, NCOS Member Sales, Orchid Enterprise, The OrchidPhile, Orchid Enterprise, Parkside Orchid Nursery, Quarter Acre Orchids, Seagrove Orchids and Woodstream Orchids. Art products will be sold by IsoTotes and Sunisa's Clay Flowers. More detailed information about some of these vendors is available on the following websites:

•Floradise Orchids / www.floradise.com
•Parkside Orchids / www.parksideorchids.com
•J&L Orchids / www.jlorchids.com
•Orchid Enterprise / www.orchidenterprise.com
•QuarterAcreOrchids / www.quarteracreorchids.com
•Seagrove Orchids / http://seagroveorchids.com
•Woodstream Orchids / www.woodstreamorchids.com

Attachments

• rsz_11rsz_orchid_poster_mock_4.jpg
    rsz_11rsz_orchid_poster_mock_4.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 16
More details on the show available at next week's meeting:

Monday, September 17 – Speaker: Clark T. Riley, Ph.D. (Maryland)
Topic: 50 Years of Orchid Growing Mistakes (Including the Top Ten Orchid Growing Mistakes -- and how to fix 'em)

Come on Eric, I am not going till Sunday. Some of us have to work. Then some of us have to water on Saturday. Don't take all the good plants. Its a good thing I have some vietnamense being held for me and I told them whatever you do don't sell them to Eric. :poke:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...8c2cae-0bce-11e2-a310-2363842b7057_story.html

Columbus Day Weekend Deals

See thousands of orchid plants in bloom (October is peak season), get expert advice, listen to lectures and peruse a sales tent full of quality plants and supplies at the National Arboretum’s Annual Orchid Show and Sale from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. Next Saturday, the arboretum will sell most of its popular koi from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., with a preview starting at 8 a.m. The colorful fish, which range from $1 to $150, depending on size and quality, must be sold because their pool is being drained for renovations. All sales are final. 3501 New York Ave. NE. 202-245-2726. www.usna.usda.gov

I went to the show (after a disasterous trip-Thank you Greyhound! :mad:) and of course to continue the disaster my camera's batteries died. So until I get the photos taken by someone else are emailed to me these will have to do.
What I really needed from the show
PA061040.jpg

3The 3 plants I brought home, the besseae flavum got damaged in transport home but I'm hoping it has a bloom when my pearcei blooms
PA061038.jpg

PA051037.jpg

PA051036.jpg

PA051034.jpg

PA051033.jpg

PA051030.jpg

What is with that leucochilum cross with the green lip? Now thats a new avenue for breeding.

Great thanks for sharing the pic.

Eric what are the other 2 plants you bought.....

The angraecum distichum was a big basketball size plants with blooms all around that you cant see from the photo! It was the best I've ever seen, better even than those growing on tree trunks in situ!

It was good to see you too Ty and good to meet another STF'r in person. The food/treats at the Society/show party were great. I will say 'Hi' to Marg and look forward to seeing Shiva, JP and maybe even Kyle in Montreal.

I'm looking forward to DC next year and will not be relying on Greyhound bus for sure.

Christoph, I traded a plant for the besseae flavum and Phrag Cape May County x klotz w/ Woodstream. There is one more plant to come from that trade that I cant wait to get!!! The other is a Lepanthopsis astrophora, You can't have too many of this little gem!

The angraecum distichum was a big basketball size plants with blooms all around that you cant see from the photo! It was the best I've ever seen, better even than those growing on tree trunks in situ!

It was good to see you too Ty and good to meet another STF'r in person. The food/treats at the Society/show party were great. I will say 'Hi' to Marg and look forward to seeing Shiva, JP and maybe even Kyle in Montreal.

I'm looking forward to DC next year and will not be relying on Greyhound bus for sure.

...!

I image this quite well, just looking at my poor plant with its 2 blooms in my gh :eek: !!!

Please don't miss to take pics and show us the STF representatives !!!! Jean

Latest posts

Back