Names and pronunciations

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't even attempt to address the issue of pronunciation! LOL I do think, though, Leo really hits the nail on the head when he points out nomenclature is based mainly on dead languages, "Vulgate" (a term I'd never heard before and which I'm going to have to look up in my dictionary!) Latin & Classical Greek, among others (?), and there is no ultimate authority on their pronunciation.

If it's someone's name, pronounce it according to his or her language of origin, otherwise don't worry if you have it absolutely correct or not.

I've really found many of the comments on this thread to be enlightening!

Last edited by a moderator:
Warsse-witch-ianum is doable although popowii is easier still :rollhappy:

2.) Many - perhaps half or more of the botanical names honor a person. In this case, as much as practical, pronounce the base name as the namesake would say it, in that language.

If it's someone's name, pronounce it according to his or her language of origin

Right, so, would it then be rot-shilt-ianum rather than roths-child-ianum? :sob: :D

I was at an orchid show a year ago and I witnessed two men "arguing" over the pronunciation of the word Keiki. I put arguing in quotations because they were not at all having a discussion/argument about the pronunciation of the word, but a discussion about a plant that had only ever grown keiki's.

One man would use the word pronounced one way, and the other would use the word his way. Every time they would use this word they would get louder and slower (as if they were speaking to someone who didn't understand the language). They probably went on for a good couple of minutes, it was really quite humorous for those of us listening.

Now I believe the word Keiki is Hawaiian? So, I am sure there is a correct pronunciation and one of these men was right. Hardly worth arguing over in my opinion...everyone will put their own intonation onto pronunciations anyway. "Potato. Potato. Tomato. Tomato."

Right, so, would it then be rot-shilt-ianum rather than roths-child-ianum? :sob: :D
Well let's see his father was one of the Vienna Rothschilds but his mother was of the British Rothschilds clan and upon her death he moved to England. so do we use the British or the Viennese pronunciation, LOL

WOW, such great information here. Thanks to everyone. I will definately have a lot to consider. But being patient is a good one.

OK, I have to plug my orchid society. The Oregon Orchid Society produced a book entitled "An Orchidist's Lexicon" that I really like. It covers some of these issues and has really helped me pronounce a lot of the orchid names more correctly. We have many copies available, but I cannot remember how much they are. You could come to our show over Mother's Day weekend where we will have many copies available and at a discount!

Here's a link to our website www.oregonorchidsociety.org

Craig

Wolf, as much as I'd love to see Oregon in the spring.......I can't make that trip. Thanks though, and maybe if you could get me the info on obtaining this book, I'd be more than happy to contribute.

One of my favorites is Phrag czeriakowianum! I used to pronounce every syllable per zer-wee-ack-ow-ee-ann-um, but was schooled to say it sher-va-cove-ee-ann-um.

-Ernie

Oops, missed a w; should be czerwiakowianum.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorites is Phrag czeriakowianum! I used to pronounce every syllable per zer-wee-ack-ow-ee-ann-um, but was schooled to say it sher-va-cove-ee-ann-um.

-Ernie

Now there is a discussion I would like to witness :poke:

Well let's see his father was one of the Vienna Rothschilds but his mother was of the British Rothschilds clan and upon her death he moved to England. so do we use the British or the Viennese pronunciation, LOL

*runs off screaming*

:rollhappy:

czerwiakowianum- I corrected a typo in the original post. Some people spell it boisserianum though. :)

-Ernie

Named after Pierre Edmond Boissier the famous Swiss Orchid collector - Of Course ! Was that French, German or Italian speaking Swiss. Or like most Swiss citizens - all three.

I was at an orchid show a year ago and I witnessed two men "arguing" over the pronunciation of the word Keiki. I put arguing in quotations because they were not at all having a discussion/argument about the pronunciation of the word, but a discussion about a plant that had only ever grown keiki's.

One man would use the word pronounced one way, and the other would use the word his way. Every time they would use this word they would get louder and slower (as if they were speaking to someone who didn't understand the language). They probably went on for a good couple of minutes, it was really quite humorous for those of us listening.

Now I believe the word Keiki is Hawaiian? So, I am sure there is a correct pronunciation and one of these men was right. Hardly worth arguing over in my opinion...everyone will put their own intonation onto pronunciations anyway. "Potato. Potato. Tomato. Tomato."

From the Maui visitors guide for pronouncing Hawaiian words:

keiki (KAY-kee) child or children

Totally funny, all of this. I'm still scared to open my mouth in public! I started reading books about orchids before I knew any "orchid people", so I mentally pronounced all of the names based on my Classical Latin training. Once I put this into play in person, I got everything from laughs to disdainful corrections. Now I understand it's different! Bellatulum is one that makes my head really hurt...the pronunciation could be as dignified and appealing as the plants, but it sounds like a disease when the horticulture crowd in the know speaks their names.

The Orchidist's Lexicon book is $8. It's a small paperback book, but I find it worth the price. PM me and maybe I can get together several of you who want one and get a good discount on them.

Craig

Totally funny, all of this. I'm still scared to open my mouth in public! I started reading books about orchids before I knew any "orchid people", so I mentally pronounced all of the names based on my Classical Latin training. Once I put this into play in person, I got everything from laughs to disdainful corrections. Now I understand it's different! Bellatulum is one that makes my head really hurt...the pronunciation could be as dignified and appealing as the plants, but it sounds like a disease when the horticulture crowd in the know speaks their names.

I cannot tell you how many times Brian (Likespaphs) has corrected me when we speak in person. I think part of it is the internet and the fact that we type more than we speak. My biggest regret is not having taken a Latin course. I could really use it now!

If your Classical Latin class was taught in the USA, more or less - that is the correct way to pronounce the botanical words that came from latin, except those from Greek ....etc.

I know some of the St. Louis area AOS judges, they could use a refesher course on Latin pronounciations, you go girl! :viking: Your pronounciation is probably "more correct" than those AOS judges. This is of course knowing that there is no one real "authority".

It is enough to drive a one bonkers.

Usually, if you sound out all the syllables, you're on the right track. Vowels next to each other seem to give the most problems (ae, ii, etc). Just do your best. In the Smithsonian Museum's fish division, I'd commonly hear the same name pronounced five+ different ways. We all knew what the other was talking about though- that's the whole point.

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back