Names and pronunciations

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One very important thing to remember... Anyone who makes you feel embarrassed about the way you pronounce an orchid name is a jerk. No one alive today speaks Latin as a native language, and modern botanical usage incorporates names of people and places that bring in spellings and pronunciations the Latin was never meant to have. Educate yourself, make a good faith effort, and roll your eyes at anyone with a superior attitude.

Totally funny, all of this. I'm still scared to open my mouth in public!...
Bellatulum is one that makes my head really hurt...the pronunciation could be as dignified and appealing as the plants, but it sounds like a disease when the horticulture crowd in the know speaks their names.
:clap: :rollhappy: :clap: :rollhappy: I feel like we're 2 peas in a pod! After 25+ years of teaching dog obedience classes, I have a big, loud mouth but when I'm in public, not sure how to pronounce a name, it's amazing how I can whisper and then they're going 'what', (because they can't hear me) and that's when then panic sets in & I shorten it! You know, nice bella! (No disease in this name!)

THat's why I like talking to people here! :D

I totally agree Eric!!!! :):) !!!! Jean

I'll make that 3!

we all try our best and can't ask for better. I try to listen to others and ask when I am not sure. Most of my latin pronunciation come from learning medical terms. There can be a big difference form here in the US and in Brittan with the pronunciation of the same words.

It is really interesting to read this thread as an european who has learned in school the traditional latin with the oldstyled classical pronounciation.
Latin was used for the plant- and animalnames that we have a possibility to understand over all language-borders.
But when I came the first time to USA I could not understand a lot of the names because the pronounciaton was so far away from the original. Then I learned also the pronounciation. But again Germany and other states in Europe it is really necessary to return to the classical way of pronounciation.
But I had more problems in Japan or Taiwan with a mixture of the pronounciation between american and asian style.

So it would be necessary to find really an international standard.

One note beside. Also when the name of a plant based on a name like Phragmipedium boissierianum var. czwerwiakowianum then we should use the latinized pronounciation, not for boissierianum the french and then for czerwiakowianum the polish.

Best greetings

Olaf

One very important thing to remember... Anyone who makes you feel embarrassed about the way you pronounce an orchid name is a jerk. No one alive today speaks Latin as a native language, and modern botanical usage incorporates names of people and places that bring in spellings and pronunciations the Latin was never meant to have. Educate yourself, make a good faith effort, and roll your eyes at anyone with a superior attitude.

exactly!

...One note beside. Also when the name of a plant based on a name like Phragmipedium boissierianum var. czwerwiakowianum then we should use the latinized pronounciation, not for boissierianum the french and then for czerwiakowianum the polish.

Best greetings

Olaf

really? that's opposite what i've heard. funny.

Latest posts

Back