Mystery yuck!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

li'l frog

Reaction score
I was repotting today, mostly paphs that didn't look as good as they should, and found a Pedro's Moon that hadn't started a new growth after blooming. Inside the pot, and woven in the bark mix was a brownish gray mat that almost looked like fiber. The roots were gone -- a mushy mess. I've dealt with snow mold before, white, spider-webby stuff, but this was different. I've got the plant cleaned up, with a few roots left, sprayed with a fungicide. I'll leave it bare-root for a few days to see how it fares. I didn't see the same substance in any of the other pots I've been into today -- about 20.

Has anybody seen anything like this? I don't know what it is, or how to effectively deal with it. I've been growing for over 20 years, thought I'd seen everything.

Thanks for your help.

sounds like Rhizoctonia
if so, remove all dead roots, all media, wash put into new media, drench with a fungicide..maybe Alliete? I wouldnt leave it bare root any longer than it has to be.. baby whatever roots you have left... good luck!

I have no clue other than some fungi or bacteria. Rhizoctonia is plausible. If you don't have a fungicide to use, drench the roots with over the counter Hydrogen Peroxide (3% solution). It will only kill surface organisms. It won't harm the living roots. Its broad spectrum, though some fungi are immune to it. Alternately you can try Physan 20.

It's still out of pot, I'm misting the roots. It initially got a shot of Physan after it got cleaned up and washed off. The top -- one growth that has bloomed, looks ok -- leaves have substance and aren't turning yellow. It has a nice flower, and I hope I can save it. It will probably get most of the roots cut, then put in sphagnum for a while to regroup.

Back