My two cents worth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would like to see one of our commercial members tell us the cost to produce a plant from flask to flower given a conservative flowering time of 5 years for a multi or complex in a 4" pot. i'm sure they have it down to a science and can tell you exactly what the cost per year breakdown is in terms of heat, electric, media, pots, water, fertilizer and initial costs from flask. I'd be very interested in those numbers but I bet no one will share...

i would like to see one of our commercial members tell us the cost to produce a plant from flask to flower given a conservative flowering time of 5 years for a multi or complex in a 4" pot. i'm sure they have it down to a science and can tell you exactly what the cost per year breakdown is in terms of heat, electric, media, pots, water, fertilizer and initial costs from flask. I'd be very interested in those numbers but I bet no one will share...

I have no current cost for commercial growing but I'll take a guess at $0.50 per plant per month.

well, i said heat only..i figure seven for five years( ive done the calculations myself..will get that to you).total..and ive seen several greenhouse nurseries..many greenhouses are innefficient

$1 x year...wow...dont make read this Thread to chinese and Taiwanese....or they will alll come to seattle to produce Paphs!!! :poke:

heating costs for my 12 x 15 GH is 600 a year...plus 300 a year for materials (pots and media)and water/sewage...thats 4500 in five years..i have 1000 compotted seedlings...300 medium sized and 200 nbs to bs plants..with this ratio ..it costs 3.5 dollars per plant per five years...i will probably increase ratio of BS to twice as much...so figure twice as much costs.. seven per plant.of course i dont have any other significant overhead costs like labor and marketing etc..but i wont be doing this for income

Last edited:
ya but you can't get them all to blooming size in that size gh, so another major capital investment there, plus increases in heat and so forth with larger size gh. plus you're not counting your own labor. if you work for free i bet there's alot of members here who would need repotting done as well. lol...

ya but you can't get them all to blooming size in that size gh, so another major capital investment there, plus increases in heat and so forth with larger size gh. plus you're not counting your own labor. if you work for free i bet there's alot of members here who would need repotting done as well. lol...

this is why i presented a calculation based on proportions, the cost per plant would be the same no matter how big the GH (actually, heating would be less per cubic foot for larger GH's because of lower Surface area to volume ratios)..and simply because what grower brings all their plants to BS (some get sold, some die off )...and im not counting other overhead costs, just those that are 'required' for maintenance...all those other costs (labor , marketing, wholesale purchase) are less important to hobbyists. (i am not trying to make the point that commercial gh's can lower their costs, i am sure most of them do the best they can)

Yeah I think we agree. The issue with developing improved hybrids is production quantity. The reason we are having so many great hybrids now is because over the last 20 years commercial growers grew out thousands of plants to select the best breeders. They used these selected plants to make new improvements in the hybrids. Small hobby growers will only be able to grow out a few plants to select from. So eventually over a few generations we won't see the same level of hybrid advancements.

But don't get me wrong I think it is great that the orchid hobby is heading back to "hobby". Big commercial growers have in a way taken the romance out of orchid collecting. It's better when a nice plant will cost $500!

that is why slippertalk.com exists ..to bring together people who have exceptional plants and to breed from them...i am not planning on keeping all my plants from my own breeding (well, their are certain crosses i want to be stingy about to see bloom in vast numbers, but these are only a couple), it will just have to be a cooperative growing effort to advance the hybrids

If someone want to do serious breeding must flower hundreads of plants of the same cross and have them in his place to be shure to have fresh flowers and pollen to go on and dont loose the opportunities...flower 10 or 20 plants each is not breeding...so its better to go buy flowered plnts and cross them just for fun and produce some more seedlings to save on future purchases and have the pleasure to see flwering a cross done by yourself...fun...nice...passionate....but not real breeding.

I'm not sure what you don't buy about this reasoning? Maybe I'm not clear about your point?

You don't see new trends on ebay for two reasons...
1. There is no profit to be made selling plants on ebay, only losses.
2. There are not many commercial domestic breeders making new hybrids now and the imported plants are too expensive to resell on ebay.

It is funny as orchid nurseries in Australia are now moving to eBay to sell there plants as they realise they can make much more money selling them this way. I guess they have a bigger market on eBay. I'm astonished at what plants sell for on eBay. Certainly way more than what I use to pay direct from a nursery. Today a small Gloria Naugle seedling sold for over $100.

David

It is funny as orchid nurseries in Australia are now moving to eBay to sell there plants as they realise they can make much more money selling them this way. I guess they have a bigger market on eBay. I'm astonished at what plants sell for on eBay. Certainly way more than what I use to pay direct from a nursery. Today a small Gloria Naugle seedling sold for over $100.

David

Crazy prices, but the general lack of supply is the problem here, I think. Its especially a problem for larger plants. Many have probably tried flasks to find that the years of waiting and loss of seedlings over time makes buying a few flowering size plants worth the extra cost.
I certainly wish I could buy NFS multiflorals for $40!
The other advantage of eBay is that its immediate and up to date. WYSIWYGet is a powerful marketing tool. If nursery's (in Oz) had up to date lists on-line things might be different, especially if the niche plants like paphs were included.

there was a time when i would buy a sandy hybrid for hundreds of dollars too...but given the market here..i wont do that anymore...i wont pay more than forty a growth,,,unless its a known flower ( awarded, etc)...obviously the markets are different in other countries

David

It was that way here as well 2 or 3 years ago. But not now. Before when almost every plant would sell for at least a minimum bid amount the averages for the seller worked in their favor. But now the majority of plants pass through unsold most times of the yeaar. Now Ebay collects fees for these unsold listings. Now ebay charges the seller the sales commission on shipping costs as well and shipping costs are very high now.

For hobbyists ebay is a good way to sell plants but if you are trying to be a quality small nursery and abide by all the laws and rules and do what it takes to keep customers satisfied and provide quality plants you can't afford to sell on ebay. If you do efficient cost accounting and track and include all of the actual expenses at the end of the year you will see that you loose money selling on ebay in the USA.

Latest posts

Back