My roth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until the next time a mis-hap occurs! 5-7 yrs is plenty of time to mature as a slipper grower! That's why the older we get the bigger the plants we buy. We, I don't have 5-7, 10 , 15 years to wait! I also buy lots of plants to curve that final destination......dust:(
Aww... :pity:

I hope there won't be any more mishaps with this guy, it deserves to make it since it has fought really well.

But of course I managed to kill off the little root nubs it had by letting it dry too much, which was why it got so very, VERY sad as you can see in this thread.

It has now spent some time in the terrarium I managed to locate and excavate from the basement storage. After having some problems with getting the humidity to stay above 80 % (problem was fixed by moving the fan and the humidity is on a steady 95% now), it has started to become less floppy. I also replaced the sphagnum around its stem today, just to be on the safe side, and noticed a new little root nub starting. One thing is for certain; this guy is really a fighter and WANTS to live (despite my efforts to try to murder it apparently...)!

With the terrarium I hopefully won't screw up and let it dry too much again, not with the level of humidity I've managed to uphold. :D

Again: thanks guys for all of your advice and suggestions, not to mention your knowledge. It's because of you that I haven't given yet and am still trying.

Today I could remove the supportive bamboo skewers from my little guy. The leaves are now firmer than they've ever been since I got it I think. It really likes being in the terrarium and the new little root nub is growing very well too. I'm so glad I didn't give up (I almost did I'm ashamed to admit) and decided to try with the terrarium. :D

Good Luck. Thanks for the photos! :poke: - Yes, we have no mercy!
I'll fix them as soon as I can.The light levels are very very low here in Sweden at the moment, this even when the sun is shining so when it's overcast, like today, it's rather dark. I have to document the fact that it's getting a new leaf as well. Go roth!:D

Okay, the terrarium was the best idea I could've gotten for this guy (all thanks to some thread about someone saving a Paph without roots by using clear plastic bags around its leaves the keep the water loss to a minimum among other things, don't remember which thread it was though). It thrives in there!

This is the picture I took about a week ago after I had watered it and saw that its newest root nub had come along fine, plus spotting that the biggest of the new leads had gotten a root of its own!

250675.orig.jpg

Today when I watered it, I discovered another two root nubs, so it really seems to be recovering at the moment. Also, the leaf (which I tried to take a picture of last week, but which were too low down in the crown to be able to take a decent photo of) is growing by leaps and bounds. I think it has grown at least 1 cm in one week. :D

Okay, the terrarium was the best idea I could've gotten for this guy (all thanks to some thread about someone saving a Paph without roots by using clear plastic bags around its leaves the keep the water loss to a minimum among other things, don't remember which thread it was though). It thrives in there!

This is the picture I took about a week ago after I had watered it and saw that its newest root nub had come along fine, plus spotting that the biggest of the new leads had gotten a root of its own!

250675.orig.jpg

Today when I watered it, I discovered another two root nubs, so it really seems to be recovering at the moment. Also, the leaf (which I tried to take a picture of last week, but which were too low down in the crown to be able to take a decent photo of) is growing by leaps and bounds. I think it has grown at least 1 cm in one week. :D

Looking Good!

Paphman910

congrats this is alwys a happy moment if you can see that the work is going to start...

Yup, I'm happy. I tossed one of my other roths into the terrarium as well, since its newest leaf has started sagging, and I've seen no sign of any root growth (I have it in a clear plastic pot so I don't need to disturb it when looking). I figured it could keep my recovering one company till summer. :D

Look who is poking through the sphagnum!

8257789420_6e9d1e2eda_c.jpg

It's growing so well in the terrarium! One of the roots I thought I had killed has started growing again as well. Since it started to recover, I removed some of the sphagnum covering the top of the substrate to encourage the roots to grow into the substrate, no luck with that so far though, the roots are very happy crawling around between the sphagnum and the substrate. I think I may have kept the substrate too dry, so I need to water the roth more often to prevent it from getting a bunch of shallow roots, and nothing else (it's practically only standing on top of the substrate as it is already).

Since the sphagnum layer is so thin, I can spot the roots quite easily without disturbing them (I even had to relocate some sphagnum since the root had grown out on top of it). Luckily the humidity is so high that the roots won't dry out that quickly.

Latest posts

Back