My roth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
I thought I should create a thread about my poor first roth where it belongs, which is in this sub forum; Problems, Pests, & Diseases.

This is how it looked when I got it (on top, underneath the surface it had practically no living root system and no sing of any new root nubs):

247532.orig.jpg

And this is how it looks now:

247529.orig.jpg

In its effort to survive, it has thrown out three new leads and this is how they looked like when part of the fourth, then dying back, leaf was still attached to the plant:

247189.orig.jpg

247190.orig.jpg

And this is how it looks now after I've removed the last of the dead leaf (not much change as you can see):

247530.orig.jpg

247531.orig.jpg

I don't know if the little root nubs next to the leads are alive or not, but I sure hope so, 'cause if they are, there might actually be some hope left for this roth.

I'll update this thread from time to time if anything changes, for the better or worse. :)

I really hope so. I'm keeping it together with my Phals and a bit drier, but with higher humidity. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it'll give me a spike in 1-2 years (if it survives that is). :)

You'll be okay, and (given time) it should recover. I'd guess that a heatmat would help! I've done the same for some sanderianum youngsters, which went from next to no decent roots, to fully rooted within a matter of 3 months, so heat does help, and make a difference.

Should you want to extend the collection: Popow is currently selling some very nice roths, strong seedlings, for very decent money.

Tata,
Martin

YES! *punches air*

One of the root nubs has turned out to be alive and it's growing! :D Woot! It seems like there still might be some hope left for my first roth after all. The leads are growing as well so it seems as if my method of spraying both the sphagnum and the foliage lets the motherplant absorb some water at least.

You'll be okay, and (given time) it should recover. I'd guess that a heatmat would help! I've done the same for some sanderianum youngsters, which went from next to no decent roots, to fully rooted within a matter of 3 months, so heat does help, and make a difference.

Should you want to extend the collection: Popow is currently selling some very nice roths, strong seedlings, for very decent money.

Tata,
Martin
I've been thinking about putting it on a heating pad since autumn is here in Sweden with lower temperatures.

I have one seedling/young plant from Popow already. It's the most vigorous roth out of the three I have and puts the other two to shame (although the main roth in this thread is excused). I really look forward to this youngster blooming only to see which clone it comes from, if it will be possible to tell that is.

Maybe you should look up how long plants take to get to blooming size. :eek:
Are you serious?! Does a roth take 10-12 years to reach blooming size?! I thought it took 5-7 years?

I have three roths so far:

'Starhip' x self, with an impressive 28 cm leaf span (about 11")

'Mont Milais' (?) x self, with a leaf span of ca 40 cm (about 15.5")

'Big Garden' x 'Lark', the one featuring in this thread, with a leaf span of 60 cm (ca 23.5")

Are you telling me the two littlest ones won't reach blooming size until 2022- 2024? Gee, since I thought it took about 5-7 years I figured it was okay, but if they're THAT slow, I'll probably sell them... :(

Are you serious?! Does a roth take 10-12 years to reach blooming size?! I thought it took 5-7 years?

I have three roths so far:

'Starhip' x self, with an impressive 28 cm leaf span (about 11")

'Mont Milais' (?) x self, with a leaf span of ca 40 cm (about 15.5")

'Big Garden' x 'Lark', the one featuring in this thread, with a leaf span of 60 cm (ca 23.5")

Are you telling me the two littlest ones won't reach blooming size until 2022- 2024? Gee, since I thought it took about 5-7 years I figured it was okay, but if they're THAT slow, I'll probably sell them... :(

Should only take about 4-7 years before they flower. The first growth always takes a long time to mature. After it matures the new growth should take no more than 2-3 years to mature and flower. I have flowered a roth that was about 9" across in less than 4 years! It had 4 flowers on it's first blooming.

Paphman910

Should only take about 4-7 years before they flower. The first growth always takes a long time to mature. After it matures the new growth should take no more than 2-3 years to mature and flower. I have flowered a roth that was about 9" across in less than 4 years! It had 4 flowers on it's first blooming.

Paphman910
Pweh, thanks Paphman910! That scared the living daylight out of me! I know they're slow, but 10-12 years were a bit much even for me (although I know there are people who have probably waited even longer for some orchids to bloom, but it's a bit too long for my taste), but 4-7 years are perfectly alright with me.

I've heard that it's always the first growth that takes forever to mature but that they are pretty fast when they have reached a certain size.

Now I'm happy again! :D

Just a small update on the growing root nub on my roth (we are still fighting for its survival).

I checked the visible root nub and documented it progress today (the one down in the pot I leave alon since I don't want to disturb the roth more than I do already) and it has grown well I think:
248548.orig.jpg

When checking the progress of the new leads (the largest one is growing quite well, while the other two aren't doing much) I discovered this little thing, which looks like another new root nub to me:
248549.orig.jpg

It seems my roth has decided to really try and hang in there. :D

Thanks Susie! I really hope so, but it's starting to look like it's definitely going in the right direction. :D

Well done on your roth. recovery. I think that it will make it. Fingers crossed.

Until the next time a mis-hap occurs! 5-7 yrs is plenty of time to mature as a slipper grower! That's why the older we get the bigger the plants we buy. We, I don't have 5-7, 10 , 15 years to wait! I also buy lots of plants to curve that final destination......dust:(

Latest posts

Back